NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Cosmo is constantly trying to get in my mouth!!

jimmycoop2005

:P :laugh: It is driving me crazy:S I can't even yawn with him near me or he will try to stick his whole head in my mouth! He is so fascinated with it. He does actually succeed sometimes but only a couple of times and I was a little worried about it, cause I know it's not good. have your parrots ever succeeded at their goal of getting in your mouth haha?

Athena likes to do this as well and is most interested in it when she's hungry. I think it has something to do with the bird's baby instincts, since these birds expect their parents to feed them and in the wild, their parents would naturally feed them from their beak/mouth. Sometimes though, I think she just does it to be ornery :P

The problem of course is the bacteria that we humans have in our mouths can make the birds sick (gram negative vs. gram positive bacteria). So it is something to discourage. Many birds are interested in teeth and mouths, but it's up to us to remember what the hazards are.

Reta

Dayo tries to get in my mouth if I have just taken a bite of food. He never succeeds. He also just gently lays his beak lightly resting in between the lips and sometimes does the lttle baby pant. but thats normally if Kim or I say "Kisses" :-)

I would strongly discourage most people from attempting to self administer antibiotics to your pet unless prescribed by a vet. It is more likely you make a mistake and kill your pet through improper dosage than that you actually make your bird ill from an encounter with your mouth.

I agree with dblhelix, as a studying microbiologist antibiotics often can hinder as much as help. If your bird doesn't have an infection, or a small one, often times the bacteria can become resistant to the antibiotics. This happens more often in humans as we don't finish the course of our meds because we are feeling better and think its gone.

Also, I know this is going to sound gross but work with me here. :whistle: When I was very little my parents bought me a cockatiel. Shortly after I got it my Dad got sick (bed ridden more than ill)and had to stay at home. Naturally she took to him very well. She was always trying to get into his mouth. After a while he stopped fighting it. She would go in there and look around and come out. Just curious no fowl play. After many years of having her it was just something they did. He could even close his mouth (gently of course)and she would just sit there and wait for him to do it again. I know ...gross! :dry:

I am not saying that anyone should allow their birds to do it. Just saying I think they are interested in it, and maybe if they are given the chance to explore it, it might not be such a point of interest.

Sorry this is so long, I got carried away. :blush: