NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Red Palm Oil

CaptDialtone

Hiya Folks:

Just wondering, is there a particular brand of red palm oil that you feed to your birds? I bought some Swansons Red Palm Oil and Harley hates it. I put a small amount in with his fave food and snacks, and he won't touch it if Swansons Red Palm Oil is in there.

Thanks

Frank

Hello Frank, I use the Safari Organic Red Palm oil and I bought it from www.drsfostersmith.com but I am not sure they sell it any longer. I found another source of it at www.safarimkt.com I haven't ordered any from them because I still have some but I will when what I got runs out. Hope this helps, I don't know if it will be any different from what you are using.

I'm not familiar with the brand, which doesn't mean anything. How much are you feeding? Greys are supposed to get no more than 1/4 tsp a day. If that's what you're feeding, try giving a quarter of that to start with. Whatever amount that your bird doesn't seem to notice in the food. Then gradually increase it to the recommended amount. Hope that works!

I have the Safari brand that I got from Drs. Foster Smith, but they no longer sell it. I have heard that some people had problems ordering directly from Safari. There are other good brands available.

Reta

• 2 weeks later...

I was at a Fresh and Natural Foods store buying sprouting seeds/beans for my birds and saw a big jar of Red Palm Oil. I don't remember the brand but it might have been something with "Safari" in the name.

It was reddish (which I would imagine) but it had tiny little pieces of orange fleshy stuff in it...it does look a little like the stuff in the palm nuts.

Is this the right Red Palm Oil? I was imagining something very different than that.

Lisa

Well Lisa, that is Red Palm Oil, but it sounds like it also contains pieces of the flesh. The RPO I use, I purchased from Swanson's Health and it is an orangy paste that I melt by nuking and then dripping a quarter teaspoon or so on to whatever I am mixing it into like scrambled eggs, oatmeal, a little on the pellets etc.

You probably imagined, as I did at first, a bottle with red oil in it. :-)

You're right. I was imagining a small bottle of red oil. What I found was a large mason type jar with this weird stuff in it.

I'll have to grab some and see. I need to look more into how it would impact my ekkies though or if it's too much fat for them because my littlest girl is such a piggie that she'll go eat some of my CAG's food any time she feels like it.

Thanks.

Lisa