NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How can i get my parrot to the vet if ?

proddytheparrot

Can anyone help? I was wondering how i can get my parrot to the vet to get checked out as he doesnt like being handled. I am quite worried as his faeces over the past few weeks have changed and today he done one which was almost black. Does anyone know what could be causing this as he is given a varied diet and looked after well. Thank You

It could just be something he ate but I would rather you take him in to see a vet especially if he has not gone in for a while and his poops have been this way for a few weeks. You are just going to have to reach in and get him if he won't step up for you, there is no other way around it. Make an appointment and take him ASAP.

Let us know what you find out, we care.

Most of the breeder birds where I work wont let you touch so we towel or net them when they need to go to the vet.

With the smaller birds a pair of heavy gloves do the trick.

The thing is don't hesitate. Do it get it done. When you spend to long chasing the bird cause your afraid then they bird gets very stressed. So grab it and move it and let go.

thank you.

just tryin 2 find an avian vet in glasgow (scotland) but its looking hard.should i change his diet and see if it changes?.in the morning before we go to work we make sure he has some fresh fruit.apples,grapes,cranberrys,dried bannana chips.

when we come home at 5.30 we give him some treats like peanuts and dried fruit before his dinner wich varies like mashed sweeet potatoe with cooked frozen veg.but we do vary it every day.

does that seem fine to yous guys??

thanks!

No, this bird needs to see a vet. Don't wait. A clean cat carrier makes a fine travel cage.

Just my opinon, but I think your morning food has way too much fruit, both fresh and dried (high sugar). Best to feed an overnight soaked grain mix (wheat berries, oat groats, quinoa, millet, amaranth, hulless barley - not pearl, etc.). Just soak overnight, rinse and drain in the morning and feed, mixed with chopped or thawed frozen vegetables (check salt content on those). They need more vegetables than fruit in their diet. A small amount of fresh fruit daily is good, but three times that much vegetable. Plus grains, maybe cooked lentils, sweet potato is great.

Hope your bird is okay when you get him checked out. Let us know!

Reta

Hi,

As other members have recommended, it is not a good idea to wait. When I took my CAG to the vet she pooped in the carrier and it was dark blue and my vet immediately asked what she ate - well, Bella had eaten blackberries and blueberries, so all is well. But he told me if I ever see blackish poop an she didn't eat something that would have caused that, I need to bring her in ASAP because that is an indicator of a potential bacterial infection in the digestive tract and he seemed to be very worried about that.

Good luck and do let us know how it turns out!

Regards

Terri

proddytheparrot wrote:

thanks for you help nychsa i wil get him checked out asap althou i still think ive been giving him too much fruitand cranberries althou most times his poops change from runny green with dark faeces in it which worries me a little

You're most welcome - Here is everything my vet told me about paying attention to the poop issues:

He said in general the fecal should be somewhat solid and consistent. It usually should be the color of what ever she is eating. He said her urine should never be greenish or yellowish - however if the stool is a bit loose, then the urine can become discolored from the fecal matter as well, so it takes a bit of careful observation to see if the urine is discolored on its own, or is its taking on the color of the fecal matter. He said loose stool can come from being unsettled about something, excitement etc.. If the stool is loose very often, wiht no apparent reason, then a visit to the vet is warranted.

He said the fecal matter should never be blackish, if the diet didn't have something like blackberries or blueberries. Also any kind of blood is an immediate visit to the vet.

Good luck!

Terri