NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

A Sad Day!

ClayRP

I just found out that my work situation is going to be changing with in the next month and I will be on the road for training for the next six months, and then working random hours every day when I'm not on the road for training, and then six day work weeks with 10 hour days. Due to this and not wanting to neglect Tank. I have decided that it is best that I sell him it is a sad day for me indeed. In the three and a half months that I have owned him I have came to love him and admire him as part of my own family.

If there is anybody in Idaho, Washington, Oregon or anybody on here at all that is looking for a Congo I have a loving well behaved 10 - 11 month old Congo with a cage a Perch (made by nevjoe), and all his toys for sale! This was a hard decision for me to make but I know it is what is best for both of us.:(

Post edited by: ClayRP, at: 2008/01/14 06:13:unsure:<br><br>Post edited by: ClayRP, at: 2008/01/14 06:17

But its only for 6 months. I would not sell him over that. Find a sitter. Take him with you as much as you can.

Things in our lives change they are never the same. The challange is to stick it out and make it work for our pets.

When my mother first got sick I was out of town. This was for 3 months and when she did come home I was gone a lot still staying with her. I did not give up not one bird. I gave extra attention when I was home. I was so glad they were still with me when she finally passed and they were none the worse for it.

One of the birds I did ask a friend to keep cause it was still being handfed.

I am glad I kept them all they were a great comfort when my mother passed away 6 months ago.

But if the true reason for giving up your bird is cause they are not really the pet you enjoy then I would say yes you are doing what is best for you and your parrot.

To many times I have seen people keep a bird they don't care for and the poor thing gets left in a back room or closet or is never out of the cage. I would have more respect if they had admitted their mistake and found the bird a new home. If that is your case I am very proud to know you.

I could be totally wrong about you but giving up a bird cause life changes just seems so wrong to me.<br><br>Post edited by: Tari, at: 2008/01/14 15:05

I agree tari. I got my grey back in May and I was hand feeding him 3 times a day. A few weeks after I got him my work hours changed and I had to bring him to work with me because I could not change his eating times...I didn't complain because I really loved having him with me. About 3 months ago I had to get a second job because sales are down and my hours at my first job were not stable. I leave at 6:30am for the first job, come home around 1:30 and stay maybe 20 minutes and then it's off again for job#2 and I don't get home till almost 9:00pm. I give lots of loving when I am home and Elmo is fine with me working so much...I think he knows that means more toys for him though...LOL.

Working and parrots can happen without any problems as long as you always make time for your feathered friend.

Personally if it were me, I wouldn't rehome him. I worked nights for 2 years and went to school full time during that 2 years. My birds didn't have more than an hour out of cage night, and they are all fine, they survived it for two years, I know this Grey could handle it for 6 months.

However I am in Oregon, Salem to be exact, if you would like I can watch him for 6 months, but to warn you he will be more emotionally scarred from uprooting to a strangers house, than he would be just staying in your home and not getting much time for 6 months. Bear in mind yours is young and more than likely to be more resilient than one that has bounced from home to home like mine! I would be more than happy to keep Tank, but I would not be able to pay for him, all I can guarantee is a happy home. If you're wantin to recoop your "losses" I won't be able to help you out, sorry, I don't support anyone rehoming a bird and making their money back.<br><br>Post edited by: loviechick, at: 2008/01/14 18:04

I understand that you want the best for your bird as we all do. I just started owning greys last summer. I dated a girl who was in the navy that had greys. When it was time for a six month deployment she would have a friend that was going to watch the birds come over and let the birds get to know her. She would then leave recordings of her self and leave it with her friend to play with the birds. She would also send new recordings over email and when had a chance at a port visit oversees she would go to a internet cafe and do the web cam thing so her and the birds could see each other. When she would come home it was like she was never gone. Plus it gave her something else to look forward to when coming home.

I think it would be really hard to get rid of your bird and you may rgret it. I know I would! Just think about it long and hard and I'm sure you will make the best decision for the both of you.

Good Luck

Christoph<br><br>Post edited by: christoph29, at: 2008/01/15 02:42

If it was just the 6 months training I would keep him. It is the two to three years of random work hours, and irregularity that I will have to expose him to me up and down all through out the night coming and going. I know that there are ways that I can work around it but I feel that I would be neglecting him, I have already started working random hours and having to leave him in his cage for 10 - 12 hours a day for the last 2 weeks and I have seen a definite decline in his mood I'm still letting him out for 2-3 hours each night, and conversing, eating, and training with him but he seems to be getting more territorial about his cage, and just being difficult handle in general he isn't scaring me off by far. I have kept him through allergies to his dander, and through his first moody molt. The feeling of neglecting him is what is driving me more than anything to rehome him.

ClayRP wrote:

The feeling of neglecting him is what is driving me more than anything to rehome him.

I wouldn't try to sell him, I would GIVE him to someone who is willing and able to care for him. Loviechick has made you a great offer, I would definitely think about it.

If I ever had to give up my bird for some reason I wouldn't even think about money... The only thing important to me would be making sure my grey had the best possible home. I could never put a price tag on my grey.

I would work around that even for three years. That is just a small portion of your greys life and they are more accepting then you thing.

Sounds to me like you have decided birds are not for you. Thats ok not everyone is a bird owner.

I wish you luck finding a FOREVER home for your pet.

Asking for some money is ok too. I found out when raising Chihuahua's that people well take a free dog cause they have no money and well not take it to the vet.

I know you'll still get people that well buy the pet and still refuse to take it to the vet cause of money but at least you have better odds.

Good Luck

I know it's a hard decision either way. You need to do waht you feel is best in your situation. It's easy for us to say what WE would do, but we are not you. You are the one to make this tough decision so that it works out best for you and your bird.

If you are going to place him, and it's okay to cross post, can you tell me what you're asking for the bird and cage, and what kind of cage you have. Also, if there are any behavioral problems or not. Then, if you pm me your e-mail address, I will post on another forum about your bird. The more you can tell me about him (is he DNA'd?), personality, talking, etc., the better.

Good luck with whatever you decide. If there's any way I can help (even though I'm in Mexico!), let me know.

Reta

I do know the feeling of having to rehome a parrot…I had to give up my beloved Sun Conure.

It’s not that he wasn’t getting enough time or anything but he was getting more and more aggressive with my cats. My one cat Kitty could fend for herself but my other cat Angel is 18years old, her eye sight is starting to fade and I think she is going deaf as well so she is pretty much defenseless...I've had her sense I was 4. What broke the camels back was one day she was on the bed with me and Otto (the sun) and she started walking closer to me…well, Otto didn’t like that and lunged at her. I was able to block him and Angel went back to the foot of the bed. I thought everything had settled down but then she got up and started walking away from me…I think she was getting up to go get something to eat/drink…and Otto saw her. She was no threat to him but he still got up and lunged again. I was not able to block it that time and he latched on to her face. In a panic I whacked him off her and he hit the floor. At that moment I knew that his possessiveness was getting out of hand and because of Angels age/disability I could not risk her health and well-being and try to correct his behavior and I did not want to have to do that to him again. I posted an ad for him to go to a loving forever home and I had tons of e-mails from people wanting him. I interviewed a few people that sounded the best and decided on visiting a couple that have a small farm. They already had two very large aviaries outside with one having Quakers in it and the other with Indian Ringnecks…all of which were hand tame even though they were in flocks. This told me how much time she gave her birds and that she and her husband would make great new parents. What really sold me was they already had a HUGE cage for him filled with new toys inside the house (he was to be their indoor bird, plus this was even before I had told them I was going to go with them). I gave him to them that day and did not take a dime from them even though I’m sure they could have and offered to give me something. Knowing he was going to be loved by them for the rest of his life and that was enough compensation for me.

chapala wrote:

I know it's a hard decision either way. You need to do what you feel is best in your situation. It's easy for us to say what WE would do, but we are not you. You are the one to make this tough decision so that it works out best for you and your bird.

Well said reta, i personally just didn't want him to rush into a decision that in hindsight they may have regretted.

I had to rehome a bird once too. I had a dusky-headed conure for about 10 years when I moved several states away to go to college. My parents took care of Jesse for about a month before they "suggested" he needed to be rehomed. My dad didn't like Jesse, and Jesse didn't like him (he pretty much hated all men). They told me how unhappy Jesse was without me, and said that a neighbor wanted him, so I caved. Unfortunately, it turned out that the neighbor (who would have been a great mom to Jesse) didn't want the bird for herself but for a relative (someone I didn't trust with Jesse at all). The worst part? I got sick and had to come home about 2 months after my parents got rid of Jesse. So rehoming him turned out to be totally unnecessary. We've since moved, and our neighbor has moved too. We were in contact for awhile, but then they suddenly quit answering my emails. My wild imagination assumes they don't want to tell me that something bad happened to Jesse :(.

I also re homed a parrot once.

It was my ekkie. I was crazy about her and she loved me but was terrified of my husband.

Anytime he moved and she could see him she would throw herself down to the bottom of the cage and flay about. I was concerned she would hurt herself. So after 6 months of hoping it would get better I gave her to a friend. The bird lived for 4 years with my friend and was very happy. She got very sick and passed away from liver issues.

Sometimes a bird just does not work out. But when it comes to life changes I make make the effort to keep them. I promised them forever homes and that is my goal even if I have to do back flips to do it. And I have. lol

But when I bird is not a fit I would much rather see someone re home it.