NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Stainless Steel Cages, Are They Worth It?

Makena

We are in the market for a new cage for Makena as we will soon be moving back to the mainland.

I know SS cages are 3 to 4 times more expensive than powder coated, but is it worth it? Do they last 3 to 4 times as long??

What are your opinions? Thanks!

Hmm, I dont know how long they last, but I think when we get ready for a big cage budget item, I'm going to invest in one of those envrionment type cages from www.cagesbydesign.com. I think the only reason I didn't set aside to get one from the jump was because I hadn't resolved whether or not a bird would like that kind of environment. I think in the mean time - thanks to so many here - I have numerous ideas on how to really take advantage of this kind of cage environment.

Cheers!

Terri

Kristin, in my opinion I think they probably would last a lifetime, stainless steel does not rust and that is the main enemy of the powder coated ones. But they are more expensive and heavier to boot, if you get one wait until you move to the mainland before you buy it.

Yes, Stainless will definately last a lifetime. If you have it in your budget, get one. It would probably be last cage you ever bought for Makena. Atleast in terms of needing to replace it due to rust and the powdercoating starting to peel off after years of scrubbing and beaking.

Hi everyone...I'm new here. My SS cage is as old as my grey, 30 years. It is still like new and cleans easily.

It is 6 feet tall with a dome shape top and wheel so that I can move Dallas around easy. I got lucky in that the original owner of my bird, a great friend of mine, paid a lot of money for it originally. When she passed away I payed almost nothing for it. I used to babysit the bird when she was on trips, so they wanted me to have it inexpensively. If you buy one it will be the only one you will ever need.

SS will last for ever, however, be careful when buying. There are different grades of SS and you want to make sure you get medical grade 304 or 306 SS. The extra shiny kind usually has less of a nickel content and therfore can rust. SS with enough nickel in it is a little more dull in color, but, higher in quality. Good luck.