NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

African Greys likes & dislikes

coachdes

I'd like to get an idea of what African Greys like verse what he/she doesn't & maybe start a collection of ideas and mishaps for future reference. For example I've heard they usually like hard boiled eggs, items in small brown paper bags, kabobs, classical music, toys, TV and pomegranates. I’ve heard in general they don’t like mirrors, Teflon, and loud kids. I know its not good to generalize and all parrots can be different so, I ask what are your Greys likes and dislikes? Thanks for your replies a head of time...B)

Well they are all individuals in their personalities but then there are some generalities that are common to greys. Most do not like small children because they are too loud and quick moving. They don't know Teflon from aluminum but Teflon is toxic to greys. Most do like foraging toys so that includes paper bags, cups and such to hide things such as treats in for them to find.

You will probably find a lot of what they like and dislike by reading thru a lot of the threads here, a lot of items have been mentioned and some that would probably surprise you.

It's that Greys don't like Teflon, it's that any non-stick cooking surface ('Teflon' or other brand name) will kill them and any other birds by poisonous fumes when heated to around 435 degrees or higher.

Like Judy said, they are all individuals, and can be different in their likes and dislikes. My Grey loves toys he can hang or swing from, and I consider a rope boing plus a couple of swings essential for him. He loves to forage for (healthy) treats and food - much more interesting for them than just finding all their food in the bowl. He also loves to shred natural materials like twig balls, adding machine paper, woven palm mats, etc. Untying knots is a favorite, in leather laces (vegetable tanned, bird safe) or Paulie brand (bird-safe) rope. Kali likes new toys pretty regularly, and I make most of them from my stock of parrot toy parts.

Reta