NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Brody's behavior

zeta

I have another question, "hope you guys don't mind me asking all these questions, and starting so many new topics" :dry: but this one is about Bro-Bro's sudden behavior change. Every now and then Brody will start a hissy fit, something like whenever me are thee others try to pick him up off his perch, gym, or cage he starts making a wired sound, like he dosen't want to be bothered. Is this a normal behavior? How should I handel him when he is acting this way? He try's to bit, but its more like a nibbel. I'm sure Brody is not trying to be mean, its just wired how he is starting to get this way.

Thanks!

Lis and Bro-Bro

Not sure if I understand your question completely - you're saying that your Grey gets upset sometimes when you or others try to pick him up? It could be that you're trying to handle him more than he's comfortable with. They like to have their own quiet time too, not necessarily to be picked up all the time.

What I do with Kali (unless I must move him right then, to put him in his cage before we leave for instance) is ask if he wants to come up. If he doesn't respond, that's fine, he doesn't want to right then, and I will let him be. If he does want to, he lifts his foot and steps up. His choice. I find that these Grey birds like to make at least some of their own decisions, and when we can give them opportunities to do that, I think they feel more independent and possibly happier.

Now, when I need to move him, I don't ask, I say "Kali, up!", and he comes right up. He knows the difference.

Reta

chapala wrote:

I find that these Grey birds like to make at least some of their own decisions, and when we can give them opportunities to do that, I think they feel more independent and possibly happier.

Now, when I need to move him, I don't ask, I say "Kali, up!", and he comes right up. He knows the difference.

Reta

Chapallah, that is great advice and what I practice with Dayo also, now that he is starting to realize he has a choice and would like to make it sometimes. :-)

Lis - If there is no pressing reason that you need to have your Grey step-up, just let him be where he wishes. :-)