NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

humidifier

mrmacca

hi all ,

read a couple of articles regarding bionaire warm mist humidifiers , i was thinking of getting one as with me having the heating on nearly all the time in my home , i was thinking that this could be the cause of my grey starting to pluck , with the air being so dry , anyway , was about to purchase a bionaire humidifier when i seen this:

this humidifier contains TEFLON which is dangerous to pet birds, 31 May 2007

By A. Souren "Angelina Souren" - See all my reviews

According to the instruction manual that came with the humidifier, this humidifier contains teflon.

Teflon is a special compound that is high in fluorine and has a number of remarkable characteristics. It can, for instance, be very useful in trace metal work in a lab, and is able to withstand higher temperatures.

It is showing up in more and more household appliances, such as heaters and hair dryers, not just in cooking utensils. When overheated, and sometimes during first use of the appliance, it releases toxic fumes that will very quickly kill pet birds. Birds almost never survive teflon toxicosis. (Apparently, some may have been saved by immediate application of steroids, but most birds die too soon to make it to the veterinarian.)

I had ordered this humidifier to help with a pet bird's breathing problems. As soon as I saw it contained teflon, it became a useless piece of junk. The risk associated with teflon is unacceptable to anyone with pet birds.

I am quite disappointed, but I am grateful the manufacturer listed its use of teflon in the manual.

so have now decided against buying this type of humidifier , anyone know of a humidifer that i could buy .

many thanks

dave

Go to any good drug store and look in the humidifier section. There's about 3 or 4 models. The prices are different depending on how many gallons of water they hold. They can be used as straight humidifiers or medicines like Vicks Breathing Fluid mixed with water can be used for people who have breathing problems. The one below has no teflon. None of them do. This one holds 5 gallons of water and can be run for 24 hrs straight before it has to be refilled with water. It comes with 3 speeds. They don't overheat. This one costs $34.99. I got it at Walgreens.

DSCN0066.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/01/07 00:49

You don't really need a model #. They all look basically alike. The Vicks models are pretty good but you can get other brands. All are see through. The styles are slightly different. See the vents on top? That's where the air comes out. Under those vents is a fan that pushes the air out. See the handle on the tank? That lifts the tank off to be refilled on the bottom of the tank. Some machines can blow out room temp or warm air. Others only blow out room temp water. See the piece in the tank bottom? That's the heating coil. See the black spot on top of the machine? That gives off a warning that the tank has to be refilled although just by looking at the tank you can see it needs to be refilled. The speed dial is on the side--3 speeds. My opinion is to get the large one which is 5 gal. Some people use this type of machine if they have asythma, emphacema or chronic bronchitis or COPD. Special vaper stuff is mixed into the water.

This a picture of it taken apart. There's only 2 pieces..the tank and the humidifier.

PS, there's a filter in the humidifier that has to be changed every 3 to 6 mts. Collects all the impurities in the water. Costs about $4.00

DSCN0067.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/01/07 01:57