NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Avian Miracle Diet

LisaM

I looked on the site and read lots of testimonials but very little about the food. It sounds like it is mostly dehydrated vegetables, grains and legumes. There are a few items I wouldn't feed on the following list of ingredients:

'The Avian Miracle Diet'

"Ingredients: Kale, Collard Greens, Turnip Greens, Mustard Greens, Dandelion Greens, Parsley, Broccoli, Cauliflower, All types of Chard, Leeks, Water Cress, Ginger Root, Cinnamon, Bok Choy, Celery, Carrots, Sweet potatoes, Peas, Corn, Field Corn, Lima beans, Green Beans, Yellow squash, Zucchini squash, Acorn Squash, Butternut Squash, Hubbard Squash, Jicama, Cranberries, Oat Groats, Navy beans, Brown Rice, Barley, Pinto Beans, Yellow Split Peas, Green Split Peas, Small Red Beans, Buckwheat, Lentils, Pasta, Basil, Oregano, Dill, Garlic, Tomatoes, Cabbage, Red Cabbage, Schizandra Berries, Parsnips, Turnips, Beet Greens, Carrot Greens, Okra, RoseMary. These ingredients are based on seasonal availability. Most of them are available year round. You can count on at least 45 ingredients being used in The Avian Miracle Diet each and every time."

The foods I wouldn't feed to my birds include field corn, leeks, navy, pinto and red beans, and pasta if it's from refined white flour. The other ingredients look okay, and maybe for someone who doesn't have or take the time to prepare fresh food, it might be useful. Personally I feel that fresh food is absolutely the best, and feed grains, legumes, vegetables, fruits, and a few nuts to my birds.

A 5 lb. bag costs $40 plus $10 shipping, so $50 which I believe it said would last a medium size bird one month fed once a day (?). Nowhere that I could find on the site is any nutritional breakdown of the protein, fat, carbohydrate, etc. of the food. Very little information, mostly testimonials.

Reta

Thank you for your reply Reta. I was a bit concerned about the corn and the beans. My fids don't seem to have dietary sensitivities, but I'm sure like human allergies they could possibly come on at any time.

Lisa

I looked at their website too. I am a Christian, but their websites home page with the testimonial and then how God will bless their and everyone else's life through becoming a distributor and working form home turned me off and actually infuriated me.

I HATE prosperity preachers and the unscriptural message the teach their flocks. :angry:

Sorry, but this is the kind of stuff that gives Christianity a black eye.

The only miracle in this diet, is the money they are tying to line their pockets with.

Ok, off my soap box now. :-)

I must say, I agree with you Dan! I was trying to be objective, but I had exactly the same reaction. The site totally turned me off, and the fact that they don't provide any nutritional info on the food was the final negative for me. I'd steer way clear of this company and their product.

Reta

LOL Lisa!!

Actually, I am glad you and Reta reacted so kindly to my post. I just blurted out my initial reaction to the site due to being so busy here at work putting together our 2008 Business Plan and having just come out of a meeting in a "Testy" mood.

I appreciate the way Reta initially responded with a objective good summation of her thoughts on the food contents, rather than the website. :-)

So, if I offended anyone by my response, well I guess those are my true thoughts on the website content. But, to be objective and answer as Reta did. The food itself looks like a blend of veggies, legumes etc. that most of us buy fresh and provide to our Parrots daily.

It is by no means a miracle diet or a base that anyone should consider as sufficient for the good health and well being of your Grey.

Dan - I have a hard time believing that you offended anyone. My only reason for stating that is because folks on here don't usually hold back when they are offended by something (in case anyone didn't notice that!) :lol: There is definitely no lack of passion on this board, almost always in the spirit of the protection of and optimizing the quality of life for our darling feathered friends.

Peace to all.

Lisa

• 11 months later...

LisaM wrote:

My fids don't seem to have dietary sensitivities, but I'm sure like human allergies they could possibly come on at any time.

Lisa

:unsure:

errr.. could a bird get a nut allergy?? when i take my bird for it's first checkup when i get it, will they be able to test for any possible allergies..