NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Humidifiers

Nychsa

Greetings everyone,

We're having a bit of a difficult time with dry skin on Bella. She seems to have the itchies a good deal. I suppose I'm comparing her with Jiggy and I'm not sure if comparing different parrot types is incorrect. In other words Bella's scratching herself just fine for a Grey or if she is uncomfortable. She seems to have a good deal of dander coming off her when she cleans herself. I've given her aloe sprays, and I also have a parrot skin moisturizing spray that I use regularly on her.

I'm wondering if a humidifier might help her out. Does anyone have any experience using a humidifier to help a grey with winter itchies?

She's such a noodle, when she wanders around, she loves standing over the vents from the forced air coming out of the floor and I know that must be contributing to her itch - but I usually shoo her away from those.

I may also be over reacting as I don't know what is normal for a grey and what isn't. Her feathers feel nice and silky, but in the evening when she sits with me, shebegins to preen herself and dander is just all over when she does that! She seems ot preen in the morning and in the evening and she goes through every feather it seems in the greatest detail.

I really only have Jiggy as a compariosn and while he preens quite thoroughly as well, he doesn't have this kind of dander.

LOL I think I'm obsessing about it - I just don't want her to be uncomfortable.

Thanks!

Terri

Oh that's a good idea - a pot of water on the stove. My grandmother used to do that and it worked wonders! Thanks!

I have been using aloe, so we've got that part. Her feathers are beautiful - they look sculpted, and perfectly in place. And they feel silky. When I scratch her head and neck, the base of her feathers feel soft and moist It just seems her skin is dry :(

Thanks Judy! I wasn't sure if that dander is normal or if it is a problem. Jiggy doesn't have dander like that - in fact I've never seen him shed dander at all.

I have a humidifier in my bedroom. I can either try that or the pot of hot water on the stove. I keep the house at 73 degrees - feels warm enough - should be warm enough for the parrots no?

Off topic real quick - just happened - moments ago - I was scratching Bella's neck and head and Jiggy came over and started preening her!! I was so pumped! I think they really do like each other!! Bella let him preen her! It was too cute. I have to get a video recorder so I can share these moments.

Cheers!

Terri

73 degrees is fine, in fact whatever temperature you feel comfortable in they will be fine with.

Wow now that is something that Bella allowed Jiggy to preen her, heck they may just get along real good. I would like to see that if you can capture that on video.

Terri... Humidifiers or boiling water both would help your CAG and yourself during the winter. I would go with the humidifier tho for safety factors. Lots of terrible things could happen with boiling water :(

The dander and preening every feather is normal.. so no worries there. Its great you use aloe:) CAG's have 'waterproof' feathers so to speak... so a very good soaking when bathing them on a regular basis works best. Be sure to get them good on the underside of their wings. Regular soaks helps more than anything for the dry skin.

Great topic to post btw B)

Just as many "terrible" things can also happen with a humidifier and I have yet to find one that was not a pain to keep up. I guess if you don't watch the boiler it could catch on fire? But I never really boil mine I just get it going enough to put off steam.

I have a warm mist humidifier. It's true, they're a pain to have to clean if you have hard water, but I like the benefits enough to deal with it. We're going to be getting a water softener soon, so that will help with lowering the maintenance. I put 4 drops of Grapefruit Seed Extract per gallon of water too. This keeps any uckies from growing in the water and humidifier.

Thanks everyone for the input! We've got the humidifier in my bedroom, so I think all I need to do is move it down stairs for the birds. That's easy enough done - good tip there on the grapefruit seed extract Spooky! The last thing we need around here is mold developing! I live close to the water, and even though my house is a fairly new construction, I fight mold on the outside of the house all the time.

Cheers!

Terri