NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Starting to be territorial over his cage

tickle

G is being extremely territorial over his cage now. I have notice thta this behavior has started since I found that he really likes baby rattles. He will snap at you if you even touch the top of his cage when he is out. I have taken the toys from the top of his cage and only letting him play with them while he is out with me in the living room. Is this what I need to do?

It is natural for parrots to protect "their area". They protect their nesting sites in the wild. Some do become somewhat territorial around their cages. I like to avoid unnecessary battles, and simply move Kali, my Grey, to a playstand if he's acting like he doesn't want me moving HIS toys around. He will grab my fingers with his beak, doesn't bite, but definitely not happy that I'm taking over his area. I just put him on a playstand and finish up what I'm doing.

If your bird isn't stick trained and is acting a bit aggressive, I would suggest that you slowly get him accustomed to a perch/stick using treats and praise, so that it's easy to move him from the top of the cage when you need to without a bite. I would not take his toys away - they need those to occupy themselves.

Reta

Thanks for the advise. I have put the rattles back for him. I dont know if he is stick trained. I will get one and see. He has been in my house for only 3 weeks on Thursday so I am unsure of a lot of things with him. I did not know if this was something I should expect or need to put a stop to it.

Yes they can get territorial, luckily none of mine have ever bit me while I was in their space, but they sure try! The best thing is to get the bird into a neutral space. Another thing is youv'e only had this bird 3 weeks, and he is still getting used to you as much as you're getting used to him. That's what you have to keep in mind. Of course they're going to be territorial because they're still scared of you, so I would just take things slow and go from there! Good luck!

Hi there,

The ladies from whom I got Bella teach all their babies "no bite" - they do that by raising their finger in front of the little one and making a "frown face" and saying "no bite" very clearly. They told me parrots can understand facial features and know if you're unhappy about something. My avian vet did the same thing when he gave Bella a check up, and was playing with her and she nabbed him a bit roughly. He lifted her to his eye level, and looked her straight in the eye and made a sad face and said "ouch - don't bite".

Both of mine seem to understand that, as when we're horsing around and Bella nabs me a bit harder I say do the "no bite" routine and she pauses, and looks at me (what a face she makes! It's like she's pondering the origins of the universe!!) and then the next time around she nips me gently when we play. Maybe that might help?

When teaching them to poop on command I used the big happy face and tons of praise and they seemed to react to that pretty quickly - I can get them to poop where I need for them to poop!

I think so too Chapala - I'm going to give plenty of communication a try with mine - so far so good.

Jiggy, my conure, who used to be so reactionary (attack at all costs first and think about it later!) has taken plenty of cues from Bella, my grey, and has started to mimic many of her behaviors, such as watching her when she's interacting with me, and then he copies it. Communication worked with one of my kids (that would be my daughter - my son - well, what can I say - he is a visual person LOL!) - might work well with the feathered kids too.

Cheers!

Terri

This is all great feedback on how possessive and territorial they can and do become.

Dayo is not territorial over his Cage, but he is over items that He picks up and has in his grasp. I got bit hard Tuesday while he was on the counter top with my Car remote in his Mouth. I removed it playing tug of war to get it, then once I had it, he latched down good and hard drawing blood on one of my fingers letting me know HE was playing with it. :-)

So, the next time I so rudely need to get something, I am going to try treat replacement, like over a sunflower seed or peanut and swap him for it.

They sure are possesive of whatever they have at the moment!!

My Edgar was the same way until I decided to only try to get him to step up when and after he came out of his cage on his own. When he is in his cage and I try to get him out he becomes very unstable so I try avoid that unless it is last resort or I need him out right then for some reason cause when he is in his cage he will try to take a blood sample for sure. But, he likes to come out of his cage a lot and all you have to do usually to get him to come out is open his door and walk away for a couple minutes and he is out and about. Once he is out, he steps right up and is happy to be with me. Just right now I wouldnt force him to do anything while he is in that cage. Everything is really new to him right now and he will come around just give him time and be patient. I had to learn the same thing with Edgar.

Josey has not shown that territorial thing with her in the cage and I usually can pretty much get her out whenever I want by telling her to come on out. Probably as she gets older I will face that more and more but for now she is more like Dayo and can get possesive of items or toys but not the cage.:huh: :dry:

Maybe it's the toys that he is playing with that is making him do this. He is not so bad with me, but with others in the house, G will leap towards them with the beak open ready to take a chunk. I think G favors me over the others already (been at my house for 3 weeks today). He does like to remove my hand from where he is if he does not want to have me there. So when he does this, I do leave him alone. Just taking this one day at a time.