NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hi

fowlgame

I don't own a Grey just yet. I have a GC Conure and a BF Amazon. My Zon(Brody) was unruly 1 year old when I got him-he remains so. He's a talker, but not a toucher and I've never been able to change that. Love him anyways. My Conure(Zazu)is a sweetie, but I'd like a bigger bird. Owned an Umbrella, soon found out she did not fit our household. I'm here to avoid another such situation. Just to ask questions and hear your experiences- good or bad before purchasing a Grey. Reccomendations, warnings, advice, all welcome info. :)

Hello and welcome to the family, glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and maybe a new grey.

African greys are different from other types of parrots and you are wise to do the research before investing a lot of money in one not to mention we hate to see anyone have to find a new home just because it does not work out for them.

What were the reasons why the Utoo didn't work out? Depending on those answers a grey may not be suitable either. A grey will not be cuddly like a too usually is but is usually quieter and most are very good talkers.

The best advice I can give you is to read as many of the threads here on various topics for lots of useful and helpful information. You will find a lot of your questions answered and you will gain an insight into the life of an african grey.

They can be some of the most rewarding pets that you could own but it is a lifetime committment that is not to be taken lightly. Make sure a grey fits in with your lifestyle and that you can give it what it needs unconditionally.

Keep us posted as to what you do decide to do and ask any questions you may have but first answer the one I ask of you for some more information as to whether you are right for grey ownership. I am not trying to talk you out of getting one, if you do get one I want to be assured that it will be its forever home and not just the one before it goes on to yet another home. We have seen too many of these wonderful creatures that have been given up for various reasons and in need of being rehomed, they don't deserve that.

The U2 was 2 years old when she came to us. A rehome due to Katrina. She was very loud. Constant screeching anytime she was put into her cage. I simply could not have her out ALL of the time. The main reason though was that we soon found that she favored men-any man. This just couldn't work in our home with myself and my daughter, and husband who feared that she would one day scar my daughter who is 16 years old. She was very agressive with any female it seemed. I wound up rehoming her and it was very tough. She is a happier bird with a man who cares a lot for her. If I am to one day purchase a Grey, it would certainly be a baby that I could raise with our family.

You have to understand that this can happen with a grey also, some of them do favor one sex over the other and another characteristic is a grey will usually have a different relationship with each member of the family.

What if you get a grey and it favors your husband best and only tolerates you, will that be a problem? Of course greys tend to be quieter and certainly quieter than toos who do tend to be very loud when they want something.

Another thing to consider is if you do get a grey will you allow it on the shoulder? If you have any fears of a severe bite or the possible scar that could result from such a bite then that activity will have to be avoided. Greys can and do bite and that is a possibliity you will have to decide whether you can tolerate.

Take your time in making this decision and do read as many of the threads here that you can, you will gain some good insight into whether a grey suits your household or not.

Well, sure I realize that there would probably be a chosen favorite person. And, that I don't have much control over a bird's decision regarding so. I've been bitten, Amazon bites, U2 bites, etc. Most birds will bite at one time or other for whatever reason and reasons that we may not see as good ones. A U2 can really lay one on you. How bout the Greys? I know they have a big beak, but different than a U2's bite? Would this strong preference for males vs. females been from just the way she was raised? Can it be different with a Grey raised within a family? As for the shoulder thing-not sure. I feel if I raised him from a baby and felt somewhat trust between us-then sure. Do you shoulder your bird?

I do shoulder my grey but I am aware of her body language and if I have any doubts I remove her, even though there is trust between us something out of my control could trigger a bite.

I would say that given the size of toos beaks that they can bite very severe but even though a grey's beak is a little smaller they can still pack a whollop of a bite, and sometimes hold on and continue to dig in.

A grey chooses its favorites itself and whether it chooses males over females or vice versa really does not have any bearing on how they are raised. Certainly if mistreatment came from a male they may be more inclined to not like any males but if both of you give the same amount of love and attention it will not guarantee that it will treat you both the same.

I hope you do not view what I have written as negativity to getting a grey, I just want you to be sure this is the right choice for you and your family.

If you do decide to get one after reading all you can about them, then you will not be disappointed, we love our greys dearly and unconditionally and I would expect the same from you.

Also, I have to say-I know that rehoming is not always a great option. In this case, I just didn't know what else to do. I tried to work with her. I wanted to keep her. I encouraged my husband to keep her as his and that we would use any and all precautions to make that possible. He did not choose to do so. Then, I found what seemed to be the place for her. I can go see her anytime. She's still not fond of females it seems, to the point of being protective of any men around at the time. It had gotten to that here with her, which was ok. But, when she started lunging at passing females from her stand, I was just at a loss. It seemed her aggression was just worsening.

Hi Fowlgame,

I do not want to sound condescending, but if you could not adjust your home and have family members just adjust there actions, such as just walking way around the Too's stand or other such minor adjustments. I find it hard to imagine that IF you got a Grey at a young age and then it became time for it's terrible Twos, that your action would be any different in deciding to re-home it. Instead of adjusting home and people to fit the bird's temperament and likes or dislikes.

There is no guarantee that a Grey will like all family members or dis-like all but one. That's one of the owners responsibilities when deciding to bring any "Pet" into their home. It should be unconditional, barring a serious health issuer like Cancer or death, the Pet should be a family member until it or the owners pass away.

It just breaks my heart seeing all the "Pets" in rescues and SPCA shelters that owners just decided they didn't want anymore.

So, if you can commit to this kind of devotion and your family also, then get a Grey. If not, please don't do it. :-)

Sure, I could have done so. As I said I tried to convince my husband to keep her just as his- rather than rehoming her. He didn't want to do so. I thought she would be happier where she would have the attention she wanted and needed. And, she seemed to not appreciate the attention I tried to give her. She most often would bite me and usually aiming for the face, even from my lap or arm.

I'm the more or less bird "lover" and would be the primary caregiver and attendee.

Would you reccomend a different kind of bird for a family?

hi fowlgame! i don't know if i am talking out of turn but i am a very new greenhorn AG mamma. i am also active in animal rescue and used to foster pups between the shelter and their forever homes.

perhaps if you became affiliated with your local parrot rescue you might get more hands on experience with a grey and maybe try fostering? i do not know if they do that in the bird world but i know in the cat and dog worlds it is a very helpful way to get to learn about the different breeds in a positive way.

my merlin was fostered by my dear friend for a month or so before he came home to me and it was really helpful for merlin to be in a proper flock after his unpleasant environment. it was also helpful for me that my friend got to know him so well and was able to be a very good resource for me.

like i said i don't know if i'm piping up where i don't belong but fostering has always worked for me. when i fostered pups it was very rewarding to be part of their transition and it was also rewarding to be able to be a resource for the forever home.

just a thought as you do your research. and welcome to the forum, i have gotten lots of good advice and support here.

-s

hi fowlgame! i don't know if i am talking out of turn but i am a very new greenhorn AG mamma. i am also active in animal rescue and used to foster pups between the shelter and their forever homes.

perhaps if you became affiliated with your local parrot rescue you might get more hands on experience with a grey and maybe try fostering? i do not know if they do that in the bird world but i know in the cat and dog worlds it is a very helpful way to get to learn about the different breeds in a positive way.

my merlin was fostered by my dear friend for a month or so before he came home to me and it was really helpful for merlin to be in a proper flock after his unpleasant environment. it was also helpful for me that my friend got to know him so well and was able to be a very good resource for me.

like i said i don't know if i'm piping up where i don't belong but fostering has always worked for me. when i fostered pups it was very rewarding to be part of their transition and it was also rewarding to be able to be a resource for the forever home.

just a thought as you do your research. and welcome to the forum, i have gotten lots of good advice and support here.

-s

Hiya Fowlgame :) You've certainly come to the right place to do some research on Greys and I see that everyone else has already given you some great advice. One additional suggestion that I have is to find a breeder in your area if possible. Most breeders request/require that you spend time with your Grey before deciding to take it home. This allows the breeder the opportunity to see if you will make a good home for the Grey. It also gives you the opportunity to see if the Grey's temperament is something that you can live with. I'd recommend that you and your family take the opportunity to spend time at your breeder with your potential Grey. Visiting with the Grey for two or three weekends won't tell you EVERYTHING you need to know but it will give you a better idea of what the Grey might be like. Keep us posted on whatever you decide :)

Ok. Made my decision. I'm going to devote my love to a Grey. But, not now. It may be two years or more-not sure. But, I want to make sure I'm completely ready when I do. There will be changes within my household and schedule first. Thanks for all the advice. Ya'll may find me lurking around here from time to time to further extend my knowledge.