NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

new grey in our home

My wife and I just inherited an 18 year old grey from my wife's mother who recently passed away. His name is Doop and he has adjusted extremely well as far as I can tell. He already knew my wife, so I guess that had a lot to do with it. I read that birds can have long adjustment periods but he fell right into the swing of things and is just as happy as can be. He really likes women and shakes a little when I come near him, I suppose that will change with time. Just thought I'd introduce myself and any helpful hints you can offer would be appreciated as I am a first time bird owner.

Thanks

Jeff and Jaime Craig

Welcome Jeff, Jamie and Doop!!

How wonderful that you have taken in a family Grey. :-)

It sounds like he is settling in well and knowing your Wife for years, is of course a natural fro him, since he has already accepted her as part of the flock in his previous home.

His fear of you will lessen with time, as you mentioned. We'll look forward to hearing more about his progress and maybe seeing some photos when you get a chance. :-)

Hi there Jeff,

Nice to "cyberly" meet you, your wife and Doop! I've bequethed my birds to my daughter as well in the event I move along before they do. My daughter and son in law get along well with the birds and I'm grateful they make an effot to connect with them now. I think that makes a difference in the event a situation arises such as yours.

I'm sure you'll find Doop quite rewarding and I look forward to hearing how things turn out.

Cheers!

Terri

Hello and welcome to the family, Jeff and Jamie, glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about you two and Doop.

That certainly is an unusual name for a grey, do you know how he came about to have that name, I am just curious to know.

I am really glad you could find it in your heart to take in this wonderful bird and the fact that he has adjust well so far speaks for itself. I am sure having a familiar family member present makes a big difference.

That he prefers women over men is a fact of course with greys but that does not mean you will not have a good relationship with him, just a different one.

Please read thru the many threads on various topics for lots of useful and helpful information and do not hesitate to ask any specific questions you may have. We will do our best to get you an answer and help you in any way we can.

If you have any pictures of Doop that you would like to share with us we would love to see him. I know you are going to love it here as much as we do.:)

greys are fun and mine is always up for a tickle or two its great that people have these birds as they are like a mini human and have the strangest characteristics.my baby ( my 25 year old baby ) is called charlie but i often refer to him as the lord and master as he wraps me roung his little claw and he knows how to do it.