NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Chili peppers?

RadarHayes

I've been reading alot on this forum...and have to say a ton of great ideas about feeding but am curious why I see a ton of chili pepper treats in the bird stores but haven't seen that as a staple in anyones diet. We live in AZ an eat chili peppers in our family. Are there any known pro's or con's? And is there a difference between fresh peppers and the treats they sell that I should be wary of?

RadarHayes

That is a good thread in Chili Peppers. Dayo's Seed Mix also has a lot of dried chili peppers in it too. They love HOT stuff. :-)

Watch out though, they get the chili dust on them and then it rubs off their feathers to your face and neck if you shoulder them.....I learned this early on, when my Face caught on fire. :P

Fresh or dried chili peppers are fine to feed as a small part of a varied diet. I include a dried red chili or two per day in Kali's dry mix. He opens them and eats the seeds. I also often put fresh chili peppers in the fresh vegetable mix. I try to find chilis with some color (ripeness) because they are higher in Vit. A, but any are fine. They don't experience the heat like we do, so even habaneros (yikes!) are okay for them.

Reta