NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

advice-

lynnr

hi there, i have recently got an african grey who is 13 weeks old and called fifi. she is adorable but likes to bite. when you try and put her on her playstand she flaps her wings like mad and makes alot of noise! she bit my youngest sons ear and hurt him so im hoping she comes out of this stage soon. when a member of the family walks past her cage she makes a noise and i can only describe that as somewhat of a baby, not sure why she does this. if anyone out there can help it would be much appreciated.

I assume you just got your bird. Since he's new in your home, he might not be ready to be moved around all the time. Too much activity and shuffling around can cause tension in a baby bird. Depending upon how long you've had your bird, your situation might lie in the area of getting used to different things and that includes different family members, new surroundings etc. CAGs are very leery birds and don't take to new things quickly. First they must feel comfortable with anything that they will eventually deal with. As far as the that tiny whimpering noise, it's the bird acting out it's natural but previous association with other birds in his original clutch.It's also a sound or sounds that he/she will do when trying to attract the mother hen. Greys will continue doing that for quite a while.

Putting him on a playstand and him making a lot of noise and flapping is just another way of reacting to something he's unsure of.

Can't really say anything about him biting your son other than to say that your son was probably too close and possibly to overbearing (don't be insulted--all kids do this cause they're kids). Greys are very nervous around kids and it takes a while before they get used to kids. Much more so than adults. Kids who are just too quick around greys makes them a little defenceive and possibly nippy. Kids shouldn't be so near a parrot that they can be bitten on the ear. If your bird is on his shoulders, it's best to stop that immediately. Your bird at 13 weeks has got a of things to get used to and that doesn't happen in a week or 2.

If your bird is in or on the cage or stand and he starts to flap his wings alot, that has to do with exercise which is normal and necessary.

13 weeks is pretty young to be fully weaned, and even when weaned some young birds regress to wanting hand feeding when they move to a new home. It sounds like your baby might be begging for food. I suggest you either soak pellets (if the bird is eating pellets) in a little warm juice and feed from a spoon, or steamed, mashed yams, or cooked oatmeal (no sugar) also fed from a spoon. A baby that is begging needs the security of being fed.

Re the biting, remember that everything in your home is new to this bird. Birds are prey animals and are afraid of new things and situations. The calmer you can keep the bird's surroundings, and go slowly with any attempts at handling. Let the bird show you when he is comfortable and ready for more interaction. It sounds to be me like you have a scared baby there, and helping him feel more secure - keeping him in his cage (probably too soon for a playstand until he gets to know you), not letting the children play with or tease the bird. Take it slowly, be patient.

Reta<br><br>Post edited by: chapala, at: 2007/12/30 02:56

Welcome Lynnr: You've come to the right place for advice from people who know and care.

All I can say is SLOW and PATIENCE.

(I'm just following Dave007 and Reta around the forums so I can learn more)lol

Good Luck

Everything will be fine

Bruce & Mazy

Hello,

As Dave has said This is all new to the bird and needs time to adjust to his new home. Kids are way to fast and loud for new or even older birds.( I have 3 kids ) and my Ziggy still till this day get very nervous when they are playing and running around the house. Most birds are very skitish and will nip at times when upset. The best ting is to have you kids sit in a chair and then you bring the bird to them and put the bird on their arm(never shoulder) and let them slowly and caulmly hold the bird( below eye level). You dont want the bird in a high setting he/she will take this a dominate jester and might nip. Birds are like dogs in a sence that they need to have a pecking order, a bird like a male dog will try to become the "ALPHA". I hope this will be helpful for you.

Hi Lynn and welcome to the Forum!!

It is great that you have sought out advice from other African Grey owners. Dave007 and Chapala have both given you important advice you need to understand from their years of experience.

In reference to some of the behaviours you mentioned. The play-stand is something new and scary to her. African Greys must look around their environment for a while (Days/Weeks) to resolve with-in themselves that the room, items in it, the people, it's new cage and bowls, toys etc. in it are all ok and pose no harm to them.

The key is patience, gentleness and not introducing too many new things to them at once. Right now that Grey is in mental overload and is feeling insecure.

Just stay close to the Cage, talk to her and have her step up and just sit with you while others are in the same room, but not moving about to fast, poking fingers at her or getting in her face. :-)

Greys do not have a "Pecking Order" or any type of structured "Dog Pack" system where one is the Alpha. They live in a communal flock and go everywhere together, feed together, play together and love together etc. They are instinctively drawn to being a member of a Flock and that is what you and your family are becoming to it. The Flock is their security, protector and love of their life. This baby has just been taken away from it's Flock (Clutch) and only surroundings it has ever known. So I am certain you can understand why he is a little skittish at this time.

I am very sorry to hear that your child was bitten. I am sure he may be a little fearful of your Grey now. Just have him appreciate your Grey from a distance until he regains his confidence.

Please stay in touch and and ask all the questions you wish. It is important to your Greys health and well being to learn as much as you can about them. You will be rewarded with a wonderful lifelong relationship and a happy Grey that will love you dearly. :-)

Greys do not have a "Pecking Order" or any type of structured "Dog Pack" system where one is the Alpha. They live in a communal flock and go everywhere together, feed together, play together and love together etc. They are instinctively drawn to being a member of a Flock and that is what you and your family are becoming to it. The Flock is their security, protector and love of their life. This baby has just been taken away from it's Flock (Clutch) and only surroundings it has ever known. So I am certain you can understand why he is a little skittish at this time.

Thank you Dan for correctng this often stated misconception!! So important especially for people new to birds to get the correct information.

Reta

hi all, thankyou to everyone who gave me advice - much appreciated. can i ask if i should be giving fruit and veg on a daily basis or every other day? Fifi loves to push her beak in between your fingers for some reason she will start off really gentle then will give a nip sometimes. she has a very good appetite and loves playing.. im sure i will be asking loads more questions and once again thankyou!! I am going to post some pictures on my profile for everyone to see my little gem....

Fresh food is important to feed daily, more vegetables than fruit. Ideally a vegetable mix should have 5 or more different vegetables in it, especially the high vit. A ones like kale, collard, mustard, broccoli. Steamed sweet potato, carrot, or winter squash is also excellent mixed in with the raw vegetables. A little bit of fruit is great, especially berries, cantaloupe, mango, papaya, pomegranate, citrus.

Re the nipping, maybe best not to use your fingers as a toy. You could hold a toy while you have her on your hand and let her beak and play with the toy instead of your fingers.

Reta

Fruit and veggies given now is a great way to start. Some birds won't accept those things when they're older or have been on other types of diets. Adding fruit and veggies gives your grey a more balanced diet which supplies your bird with even more nutrition. If he isn't eating every type of veggie or fruit, just try different ones. Now is the trial and error period. Stick to dark green types of vegetables. Stay away from avocados and onions. Fruits--stay away from fruits that have pits such as cherries, You can try pomagrantes but expect messy walls, cages, messy floors. Can you feed these things every day?--Yes and twice on Sunday.

I believe psittacosis is the only disease transmittable between bird and human. And yes, it has been in the news because of the PetsMart birds coming out of Florida breeders just recently. It is treatable with antibiotics. If your bird came from a healthy aviary, he will not be carrying it. If your bird gets sick, you would take him to an avian vet for diagnosis. There are many people who have had parrots years and years, and it's rare to hear of someone who has had this disease. Possible, but not common.

Reta

My male grey came to us with chlamydia. He was falling all the time and his wings were not growing in properly. After testing it was discovered that he had a calcium deficiency and the dreaded chlamydia. All my birds had to be treated. Both he and my other grey had to go to the vets once a week for 6 weeks for an injection. He was the first and last bird I ever purchased from a pet shop. We just felt so sorry for him there all those weeks and one day, on impulse I bought him. He remains a very skittish bird although very sweet if you go slow with him. His wings have never grown in properly. He is 4 1/2 yrs. now. He is also small for a CAG. These things are as a result of the chlamydia. My greys are both very suspicious of new things and thrive on routine. I bought one of those jolly balls with tons of stuff hanging from it for them. I have slowly been moving it closer to them and yesterday I put it in their room. They are eyeing it cautiously but are not freaking out over it.They like toys but take a long time to actually go near or on them. Greys are such fragile birds it seems.

thanx for the advice coachdes. i spoke to the breeder and he doesnt seem to think that there would be a problem with my bird. she is very lively and eats well so im not overly concerned i just wanted to ask the question as someone had passed the information to me. cheers. :)

hi all, i have purchased a harness for my CAG as i would like to take her out with us and also when we go away to our caravan, i was just wondering what peoples thoughts are and whether people think if they are a good idea or not. i am also trying to track down a travel cage but i cant seem to find any company that will ship to northern ireland without charging an arm and a leg for shipping.

:lol: