NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

plucking

mrmacca

hi all ,

hope ive posted in right place , max my cag is 8 months old ,lives in a large cage with plenty of toys , kept nice and clean , fed well , let out everyday , talks , squawks , whistles , screaches when he cant get his own way , took him to an avian vet 3 weeks ago as his nails where getting rather sharp , the avian vet cut one of his nails too short and it bled , when we brought him home he was very withdrawn and just sat in the corner for a day , then he started plucking at his chest , he has now plucked his chest that we can see his skin , he still seems happy and talks and whistles and still has a lot of attention put on him , any ideas what to do.

all help much appreciated.

many thanks

dave<br><br>Post edited by: mrmacca, at: 2007/12/29 18:11

Oh Dave, I am so sorry to hear that Max has seemed to react that way to the Vet and Nail trimming.

Is that the only thing that has changed? You mentioned that he was withdrawn. Has He overcome that and is interacting normally with you and family again?

Has anything else changed or been added to your home and more specifically his Cage or room he resides in?

There is also some good topics on Aloe Juice and misting them along with adding Red Palm Oil to there foods. You can find them by doing a search for those keywords.

danmcq wrote:

Has anything else changed or been added to your home and more specifically his Cage or room he resides in?

I'm inclined to think it has nothing to do with the vet visit, I think something else is going on that made him start plucking which is why I quoted Dan's remark. The other behavior you mentioned, being withdrawn and sitting in the corner is from the visit but I doubt the plucking is. I would assess the situation more thoroughly and see if something has changed in his environment to bring on the plucking.

Keep us informed of what you may or may not find out.

hi ,

thanks for the replies , nothing has changed , he is still interacting with us , still comes out and sits on our shoulders , still sits in his cage talking away , thats what i cant understand , he is a happy bird , always talking and playing with his toys , just got me baffled why he started plucking his chest feathers.

thanks

dave

Mist him with Aloe Vera and feed him Red Palm Oil. He must have moisture for his dry skin or it'll itch.

Give him lots of stuff to shred. He must use his beak.

Don't change up the schedule, or move the cage during this time if possible. He must feel safe.

Who is his favorite person? Did he see them being affectionate with someone other than him? He must feel loved.

While out of the cage, does his favorite person preen with him? He may need a preening person/friend.

How old is he, it could be hormonal but usually not this time of year.

Hi,

An afterthought, my Buddi has stopped plucking her tummy since introducing Red Palm Oil, misting with Aloe two times a week and letting her shred every toilet paper roll I finish. She still plucks a bit on her neck but its much better. I attribute some of the improvements to the red palm and aloe, and keeping her beak busy with other things.

I also put her cage back where she has a birds eye view of the entire place, shes right in the middle of all the connecting rooms...she can see the living room, kitchen and down the hallway from where she is.

I think she feels safer there, less anxiety. Well this is whats currently working here. Good luck and welcome!

joanne

thanks joanne ,

been reading through the forum and theres so much advice , glad i joined , will be trying the aloe vera , as i said in an earlier post max is great in other ways , just the plucking. but im sure with a bit of help will get him back to looking even better.

dave

cheers judygram ,

we got max some spray called anti-pek spray that we have to use once a day , he doesnt like it very much , but as long as it makes him stop plucking then i dont mind the screaching , also we got him a drop for his water called bogena multi-vit and that also is to help prevent feather plucking , so will keep you posted on how max is doing.

dave

hi zazoo ,

have you tried the suggestions on the forum , they may help you , ive bought a spray for max and also aloe vera juice , i spray him daily with the anti pek spray and im going to spray him twice weekly with the alo vera juice and see how it goes , i have been using the anti pek spray for 5 days now , but he still plucking away , suppose it takes time , also we bought max a couple of new toys to keep him occupied while we are not talking or have him out his cage.

good luck

dave

• 3 weeks later...

hi all ,

update on max plucking , he still doing it , lost a few more feathers , i still say its from the visit to the vet when the vet accidently cut his toe , as we have not changed anything as i said in the earlier post , he is great otherwise , been using aloa vera juice to mist him also got a spray called anti pec spray , which we use every day , he now has like grey/white needles growing , are these new feathers , if so how long before they fully develop , thats if max lets them , what about molting , how old is a grey when it first molts , or does it depend on the conditions it lives in.

many thanks for the help

dave

hey there so sorry about max but i recall someone who said thier grey was going through the same thing and turned out to be molting...kay give me sometime ill look up the thread and post it here...if toys dont help for the time being try this thing called forging where u hide food in his cage and he looks for it..it helped some members so u might wanna look into that..do u see the search feature on the top type forging kay my spelling might be wrong but i hope it helps

cheers abdull , will look into it , max is great in himself , has lots of toys , always cheerful , just the plucking thing , but i was thinking of a molt , he now has like white fluffy down on him , more on his back than his chest , but he seems to be growing his feathers back , will keep you posted.

dave