NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

help help !!

mervyn2233

Hi guys i have a problem my grey is behavinf very strange recently ,she/he is bout 6 month old now and was coming along great mimicing etc and just really fun to be with .We bought a dog recently so the as you would expect needed a little more attention for while to settle in ok with us and no i certainly didnt ignore "lucky" (grey) but yes she/he did get less attention while i was dealing with molly the new dog but we are really trying to get lucky involved and give him more attention as possible but getting to the problem ,he is all day all night whistling the same one whistle over over and over again without breath 24hrs a day (really) and when he is eating he is eating like a vilture and making vulture noises ,this is goin on now over 3 weeks im trying everything with him to no avail the whistling continues .... and no mimicing nothing anymore i really dont know what to do as i love the bird and want him or her to feel the same ,like i said im giving all the attention i can possible give ,so if you have any ideas i would be greatfull ,

mervyn

Well, that certainly sounds like the behaviour is linked to the arrival of your new puppy. The puppy is an un-welcome member to the flock at this point, as far as your Grey is concerned.

With your Grey being so young still, it is very needful in the area of attention it wants and needs, much as a Human baby does. Now you have two babies to try and split your time with and your Grey resents it.

It will pass with time, but if at all possible, you might try putting the puppy somewhere for an hour or two and spend that time with your Grey just doing whatever it is that it wants to do. Hopefully, that will let him know he/she is still very important to you and the flock as a whole.

It's sometimes difficult but you just have to try to ignore behaviors that you don't want him to do and praise him when he's doing behaviors that you like. So when he's whistling that tune, just ignore him. Yes it's hard and yes you probably want to tell him to be quiet but that's the worst thing you can do. Equaly important - don't forget to reward good behaviors like when he's talking or making acceptable noises. They are very smart animals and will quickly learn what behaviors get them rewards and which ones do not get them rewards.

Sounds like he could be stressed by the arrival of the new pup. I think trying to keep the area where your bird is "puppy free" at least some hours of the day would be helpful (and it's good for a pup to have some naptime in a crate, in another room). I hope your Grey eventually will recognize the pup as part of the "flock", and that this stage will pass!

Reta