NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Pellets - Still working on it

danmcq

I have been trying for some Months now to get Dayo to eat more Pellets. He has always eaten just a few pieces per Day, mainly Zupreem Fruity Blend. I also purchased Harrison's for him, which he just has turned his Beak up to for 2 Months.

I worry about him getting all the essential vitamins and minerals he needs, especially Calcium, since Greys are know to have Calcium deficiency problems. Even though he does eat plenty of veggies, fruits and multiple bean mixes along with a Seed Mix from Browns.

Today, I thought I would try a different tactic. I had read somewhere that sometimes it is the presentation, more than anything else. So, what I did was, instead of just having it in a bowl for him, I smashed it up into a powder and mixed it in with his scrambled eggs with Red Palm Oil. He ate them up! :-)

So I thought, ok, let me make a mess on Kim's counter tops while shes gone :evil: I'll just sprinkle 20 or so cubes on the counter-top and see if he forages them as he runs back and forth playing as he does through out the day. I couldn't believe my ears when I heard loud crunching sounds coming from the kitchen. As I sat here working on my PC. I slowly peeked over the counter and there was Dayo cracking down on a Harrison's Cube. He's been doing that on and off for the last two hours.

So, the moral of this story is, it may just be presentation when trying to introduce your Grey to something new like Pellets or Veggies. Now, I just need to figure out how to get him to eat them in his Cage :-)

Nice tip Dan. I read another post (somewhere ?!??!) where somebody was wrapping pellets in paper, coffee filters, cupcake papers, etc and hiding them in their cage. I don't have to do it to get Kibibi to eat her pellets but I still do it just to give her something to do.<br><br>Post edited by: Kibibi, at: 2007/12/28 00:49