NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

The dreaded Vet Vist

Nychsa

Greetings Everyone!

For all of the rest of you Grey newbies (like me) who are dreading that first vet visit with your new baby - all I can say is - after today, my position on that is if you have the right vet, it will be just fine! Find the right vet!

I think one of the best pieces of advice I ever got when I first got Jiggy was to make sure I found a certified Avian Vet. I got that advice from the Baltimore-DC bird club. They also had a list of certified avian vets and as it were, one of them was right down the road from me. I didn't know that any vet could list themselves as an avian vet, and all that means is they are willing to treat birds. A certified avian vet is someone who specializes in birds.

I just had the best vet visit with both my conure and my CAG and I am SO relieved! I was on pins and needles thinking about all the different ways this could go south! I was worried that Bella (my CAG)will forever hate me after this - Jiggy, my conure will bite the petudies out of me for the next couple of weeks until he forgives me, but none of that happened! My vet is SO confident and knowledgable about birds, he popped open Bellas carrier, and didn't give her a second to think about what was going on, he slid his hand underneath her and told her 'up' and without a word she did! And then he put her through a whole battery of tests, checking her reflexes, her breathing, her heart etc... And he made a game out of it, making it fun for her - it really seemed like she was actually having a good time with him!

Jiggy of course had to take a nip at him and tried to play dominant by jumping on the vet's shoulders, but Dr. Boyd didn't let him get away with that, he just made him step up, and then put Jiggy through his paces, testing everything. Bella sat on my shoulder and watched, and even though she usually protects Jiggy, she just watched in fascination and didn't say a word! In fact, I think she was curious about him. To make sure she understood he will pick her up at will, he made her step up off my shoulder (unheard of usually! If she's on my shoulder, that is taboo for anyone to reach for her!). But she didn't even protest! She stepped up, and he played "weeeeee pretty bird" with her!

I am SO relieved! The right vet makes ALL the difference I'm totally sure of that!!

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Terri

That's great news Terri, on Bella and Jiggy!!

The Avian Vets confidence and experience with Parrots makes all the difference in the World. Those Parrots can sense very accurately, whether a person is timid or confident in themselves in a heartbeat.

I would love to see some photos of those two, when their up to no good B)

I am lucky I found this vet! Important note on this visit, he didn't do any blood work this time around - He wants to wait until the 1st week after the holidays so the samples don't languish in the labs for a week. For me personally, I thought it was important that this visit we don't do lab work as I'm feeling they birds need two people they are willing to work with - that's me and the vet! And I think had he poked them right off the jump on the first day, that may have soured the good day. Next time around they'll still remember that they ahd a good time there, that they played with him, and then we can expand that relationship to include a poke or prode here and there.

Something I didn't know - he said I should always keep a shallow bowl of water available for Bella to bathe in, particularly in the winter as the Greys do get very dry skin and he's feeling once/week showering with me might not be enough during the heating season. He's fairly confident she'll make use of it. I'm going to give it a try.

Then he also told me to put a drop of Apple Vinegar in their drinking water, particularly because Jiggy dunks his food in the ater - that vinegar will inhibit the growth of bacteria and fungus he said. I change their water quite often as Jiggy does make soup all the time, but when I'm not home for the day, that could be a problem.

Re: pictures - we will certainly get a video cam now as these guys are best on video!

Cheers!

Terri<br><br>Post edited by: Nychsa, at: 2007/12/24 23:42

Glad you found a good vet! RE the water, that's why I use a Lixit water bottle. So many parrots like to drop food in the water, and bacteria will grow. It's hard to be home all day every day to keep changing the water every few hours. A water bottle keeps fresh water available all day, no food spoiling in it!

Reta

Hi there Chapala,

What is a Lixit water bottle?? Is that one of those water bottles that you put in the cage and the parrot has to lick the water out somehow?

I couln't believe friggin Jiggy yesterday - he always comes running for juice when Bella drinks juice from my cup (operative word here - MY CUP), and he lured me to put my cup down by his food bowl by going to his bowl protesting loudly when Bella drank. So, while she was trying to get on to my shoulder, he started dunking his pellets into my juice! Talk about backwash! Eeeewwww! Needless to say, he got the juice - I was done :sick: !

But - I digress - re: the vet visit - I really should have written down questions that I had for the vet. I was so nervous about how the babies would do that I forgot to ask him some burning questions. For example everything I'm reading says that greys should have a mix of pellets, fruits and veggies. Bella will not eat pellets - period - no matter what form they're in. She only eats fresh foods. So, I'm trying to find the best mix for her so she gets all the vitamins and nutrition she can. But nothing I've found seems to address what to do if you have a fresh food parrot only. :S So, I'm going to see if he'll take emails, or if he has articles out.

Jiggy - his issue is he won't eat fresh food! But I think I've solved that one. He won't eat it if it's in his pellet bowl. I think he has an over developed sense of order. He loves blue berries, but not if they're in his pellet bowl! Without even thinking he throws them out as fast as possible! But, if they're in a different place - then he'll eat it. Boy, I thought I was a neat freak!

Cheers!

Terri

Terri, I am glad you found a good vet, not all of us are as lucky to have one that is so good with our parrots, and the right one does make a difference.

Jiggy sounds like a character for sure, Terri, and that is really funny about the blueberries, I love hearing these stories of yours, you keep us entertained with the antics of Jiggy and Bella.:laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

We got our 4 year old TAG (Rosie) from our son out in CA back in the fall. Rosie had been checked by an Avian vet before we brought her home to Illinois. We decided that it would be best if she was checked out by an avian vet here locally, so we made an appt. and took her this past weekend. I felt as if the vet was way to rough on Rosie and was not happy with the way the vet held her. After the 20 minute ride home we let her out of her carrier and she threw up (we didn't feed her before) and she has not seemed like the same bird since. We know it was not car sickness, because she had traveled all day on an air plane back in the fall and the trip didn't phase her. For the past 3 days now, has been quiet, not eating very well, and as I said she doesn't seem the same. Before when she would get mad or want something, she would ring the bell in her cage like crazy, but now she just sits there.

This is the only Avian vet within 70+ miles from us. We are begining to think that maybe we'll skip the annual trips to the vet and find someone else that knows how clip wings, nails, and etc. We are not sure if we want to have her go through that again!

Tee

That's too bad Tee :(. How far away is the next closest avian vet?

Nikko's vet is not a certified avian vet, but he's studying for the exam. He's also not the closest available avian vet. However, I chose him because another grey owner highly recommended him to me, and because he is the vet for the Oasis (a reputable bird sanctuary). He was so good with Nikko :). When he picked her up, he kissed her on her back, and then held her against his chest while he checked her heart, lungs, etc. Even when he took blood, she didn't flinch, scream, or anything. She was, however, a bit quiet and withdrawn for the remainder of the day. Between the long drive (about 2 hours each way) and stress, it was a long hard day for her. She bounced back by the next day though, and I was glad to have the peace of mind of knowing she was healthy.

Wow Tee, I'm so sorry to hear that. You know I'm the kind of person who feels healthcare providers, whether it be for myself or the animals is a very personal choice and one has to be comfortable with that provider. If you felt the way this vet handled Rosie was not the way you wanted, then if it were me, I would not return, regardless of how many people recommended that vet. And frankly, I would also let that vet know he/she was too rough for your taste - you are the one who pays - you should tell them when you're not satisfied and if they try to tell you they know what they are doing - wrong answer - if they didn't put your mind at ease they do not know what they are doing! My experience was like Spooky's - my vet absolutely loves birds and it shows and Bella was just fine after the visit, not even loose stool (which he said could happen due to the excitement of visiting the vet). So, I would find one that loves birds. I checked the local bird club for options - do you have one of those?

Take care and I hope Rosie bounces back soon. I know that must be so upsetting watching her suffer.

Regards

Terri

Hi Tee,

During the Vet visit, did your Grey have it's Wings and nails clipped? Even if they were clipped, you do not need to be rough in handling any bird when doing so. They may freak out, but good beside manners are always a MUST in my book.

As Nychsa said, I would switch Vets if possible or even find a local breeder that can clip the wings and file the nails for you.

If the wings and nails were done and the Vet was rough, It's no wonder your Grey is acting funny. They are VERY sensitive creatures and it may take a few days to get over that. High stress levels can cause them to lose appetite, get diarrhea etc. I read a post on this forum a few days ago, that their Grey dies of a heart attack do to the rough handling it received!!

Please keep us posted on your Grey. :-)