NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How can you Tell the sex of your african grey

Guest Sandy1

i looked at one of those articles ur describing sandy on this popular website too..but even they said its 50 50 and not fool proof ..usually its 25 dollers to sex ur bird the other 5 or so is for shipping and all that jazz..set some money aside im sure its worth it ;)

• 8 years later...

Hello,

As far as i live in a country, where bird DNA tests can not be provided, I'm really interested if there is any possible accurate answer of determining their sex by looks etc. I've read all the necessary articles, some of the say that it is 75-95% possible, some of them indicate feather of blood DNA sexing as the only adequate solution.

Once again i would like to ask some of the info from you all, as far as you are more experienced than the vets we have here in our country. I have two grey, am not certain about their sexes, One of them is almost 3 years old Loki (we thought it to be male):

Screen Shot 2016-02-26 at 11.57.45.jpg

he (or idk she?) is a wild kind of guy with calm and stern temper, sits on his perch all the day and rarely moves

as for the other, who we bought as a girl, named Riko is a more playful and cuddly temper type and she (or maybe he?) is only 1 year and 3 months old:

Screen Shot 2016-02-26 at 12.00.17.jpg

I would really like to hear your opinion/advice about their sex, or the probability that their sexes differ from each other, and also where, ho can i send their feathers for DNA sexing.

if this will be helpful, i have a small video, where Loki (the probable male) is on top of the cage on the first day of their meeting:

Thank you all in advance and hope to hear from you

Screen Shot 2016-02-26 at 11.34.53.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-02-26 at 11.57.29.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-02-26 at 11.35.28.jpg