NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

help

shazbaby36

Guest briansmum

1 year is a perfect age to be going through their first molt. if shes losing tail feathers it could have started a good few months ago. have you noticed an increase in downy feathers floating about and the odd grey one? if so she's been building up to the big ones for a while. :)

keep an eye to make sure she's not pulling or bothering the area to rule out it being anything else.

Everything that's happening is good, even the time and age of your bird. Their first molt can happen between 10 to 16 mts old. The fact that there's two tail feathers in the tray is just a coincidence. All greys and other parrots will lose tail feathers as well as flight feathers all year long. One or two at a time. It's not a part of their yearly molt. The tail feathers get old and dried up and new ones push the old ones out. Not to worry, everything's cool.

Hello,

1 year is right in the perfect time frame to start there first molt. You probably have seen down feathers floating around the house and now he will start to loose some of his top feathers. They will replace their feathers all year long. Every 2 to 3 years they will go through a major molt. You need to keep an eye out to make sure he is not begining to pluck. I dought it he is within his time frame for a first molt. I would not be to concerned about it. If you notice he is begining to pluck you need to see a vet to get it looked at. But like I said he is in good shape according to you question.