NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Loss of fluffy/downy feathers

bozzbozz

We have had our CAG for about 6 weeks and she is nearly 5 months old. Ever since we have had her, she has been losing these feathers. Tonight I noticed that arund the back of her neck it was very pink and slightly bald.

Is the loss of these feathers normal and if she is plucking which I have never seen her do, would she be doing it on the back of neck.

Advice greatly appreciated!

Hi Bozz,

What you are describing is normal as they are losing their baby down feathers. I assume what you mean is, for example when you are scratching his neck and you pull the feathers forward, you see bald spots.

If so, that is normal and new feather will start growing in to replace that baby down.

Our Grey displayed the same indications from about 5 Months to 6 1/2 Months old. Now, his neck Feathers are full with no Bald spots when pulling the Neck feathers forward at 8 Months old.

Guest briansmum

yes it is completely normal, as dan said they lose their baby downy feathers that are still under their new grown up feathers. and is the pink bit sort of towards the shoulder/top of the wing? it is normal for them to look a bit "bald" there when they are young as the crop stretches over the shoulders and as they get older they use that less, and feathers will grow in to cover it.

i had the same worry with brian when he was about 3 months and that was what the vet told me.

but as judy pointed out, if you are really worried, or if it looks sore then a visit to the vets to put your mind at rest would be a good idea.

The other night, Nikko let me inspect her head/neck a bit more than usual. When I parted the grey feathers, I saw she was bald on both sides of her neck. I was a bit concerned, but my mom thinks that maybe she rips the downy feathers out with her toenails when she scratches. The skin is very soft though. I love the way it feels! Nikko is 6, not a baby. Is this normal for an older bird?

Guest briansmum

yes they always have bald patches there, it's the end of the crop used when they are young and also to allow their wings to move more freely in flight (imagine putting a really think sweater on then trying to move your arms up and down really quickly)

however their adult feathers grow to cover the area and you cant see it unless you part the feathers as you did spooky. it will range in pink tones depending on the mood of the bird and feels very smooth.

Hello,

Yes as others have pointed out this is normal. Baby birds will go through 3 differant set of feathers.

1) When a chick is hatched it is covered in its chic feathers.( yellow soft feathers).

2) They grow their baby down feathers ( lite grey in color and very fluffy)

3) They will stert to get their pins( when the pins open they will be the feathers you see on the bird).

The stages are when hatched they are covered in yellow chic feathers that fall out in about 2 weeks. After they are out of their chic feathers they are bald and look like a naked chicken. At about 3 to 4 weeks they start to fill in their baby downs that are lite grey in color and are very soft and fluffy. The next stage is the pins they start at about 5 to 6 weeks and will grow out fully at about 10 to 12 weeks. By this time your bird should be on its final feeding and ready to be weaned.

briansmum wrote:

yes they always have bald patches there, it's the end of the crop used when they are young and also to allow their wings to move more freely in flight (imagine putting a really think sweater on then trying to move your arms up and down really quickly)

however their adult feathers grow to cover the area and you cant see it unless you part the feathers as you did spooky. it will range in pink tones depending on the mood of the bird and feels very smooth.

Thanks, it's nice to know that Nikko's normal :).