NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Overeating?

Bertbert

I feed my grey some of everything (except the grapes, chocolate, avacados, that stuff), example: breakfast is veggies, fruit, maybe some egg with pellets and a few seeds mixed in. supper would be spaghetti with veggies, pellets, maybe some meat. A typical day would be like this. In total he would have about a cup and a half of food in his dish.

I've had him for a few weeks now, he is 1 year old, and the previous owner told me he was a picky eater. But first he eats his seeds, then his fruit, then his veggies, then whatever else, he eats everything! Only thing is usually he eats until it is all gone, so in total he will spend an hour eating then drinking, then eating some more until pretty much all of it is gone! I refill him with mostly pellets and veggies after that, does anyone else's grey find it necessary to eat everything? I make sure he always has food, but I didn't expect this!

Should I be giving him less because he is overeating? Maybe because he is only 1 year old? He really likes the food?

TIA (thanks in advance)

Good points Judy and Dan. The diet you have him on is a good balanced diet. I dont know how much fruit you are feeding but give more veggies then fruit. Fruit has natural sugars called pectin. To much sugar is no good. You said it yourself he eats his veggies last. Why is that well birds have a great sence of taste. would you like something sweet or something like broccoli. Sweet of course, same with birds so just be careful with all the fruits. Maybe give him fruits as treats. Also watch what kind of nuts you feed also they are full of saturated fats.

Sounds as if you have a great eater there, you are fortunate that he eats a variety of food.His diet is nice & balanced, if he eats the veg last offer that to him in the morning & leave the fruit out for later, greys in general have a big feed in the morning & again another big feed to fill their crop before bed.

My Mozart (20 years old) will try anything! maybe should have named him mikey.:laugh: I agree with monitoring his weight. I have more problems with My Severe Macaw, Rainbow, what a picky eater she is. If it is a wet food, Say macaroni, holding it is out of the question:evil: Just remember, keep your baby's diet varied, lots of veggies, noodles, apples etc. Have you tried "Pretty bird" diet? It's multicolored shapes are fun food. I also give my babies cheerios or any not so sweet cereals. Good luck with your baby

Yes, I agree with the person above who suggested you monitor his weight - that's how you'll be able to tell if he is packing on the grams ;) Also, if he'll be going to an avian vet for any reason, be sure to ask for his/her opinion on his weight. They will feel how much padding there is over the keel bone, and give you an opinion

With his diet, you might want to eliminate "empty calories". Any processed food made from refined grains instead of natural, whole grains could be eliminated in favor of a variety of fresh vegetables, whole grains, legumes, sprouts, some fruit, and a few nuts. Hard to overeat with a natural diet. Pellets and a seed mix as part of the diet are fine too, but I always feed the fresh food first thing in the morning when they're hungriest. The dry mix comes later. A little bit of egg is fine once a week, but is pretty fat heavy for several times a week feeding. Broiled or grilled chicken or fish is fine once a week, but again every day is not necessarily beneficial. Too much protein and fat can cause health problems.

It's great to have such an eager eater - I would just suggest making the food choices that will give him the best nutrition and less fat and empty calories in the diet. :)

Reta