NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

pacing & "huffing" ?

DeeLei

Can anyone explain or has experienced this type of behavior......

I approached my African Grey's cage & she began pacing back & forth & making something like a huffing (fast breathing) noise.

When I attempted to take her out, she moved away & kept pacing & huffing, but did not attempt to bite.

I haven't changed anything inside or outside her cage recently nor is there anything I have done to myself that may appear different to her.

Hello Dee,

This is just a case of her being a little nervous. The pacing is a sign of of excitment and the panting is a sign of being nervous. Have you put up a christmas tree or lites. Do you have any motion dolls or decorations around the house. It sounds like she is spooked about something. You said she did not attempt to bite. This could be that you got lucky the signs are showing that a strike is possiable. I just posted in the train ing room a tread on body language you might want to read this tread.

No xmas decorations, no change at all.

She has done this twice in 4 days. At first I really thought she was being cute & wanting attention but when she did not want to come out, I thought there might be a problem.

Thanks for advice, will check out your thread now.

Our little boy (7 months) does this as well, but only with me and I am his favourite. I didn't think it was a nervous bird, as he does it when I am near him and it seems like he is excited to see me and can't control himself because he paces up and down on his perch panting and runs up to me panting. He even flies to my shoulder and touches my face while he is panting.