NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Bird Breathe should there be one?

Zarlock

Having recently given up smoking I have noticed Tui's breath for the first time. I am not sure if this is my sense of smell returning or a sign of ill health.

I can't make out what the smell is, (give the non smoking another week or so) but it is not her food, and I have previously noticed if we eat something with garlic in it she will smell of that.

So ... is bad breathe in the Grey's a sign of anything or does it always smell and I have not noticed it before?

Well let me start off with congrats on quitting the smoking habit, you will be much better off without them.

I haven't noticed any particular smell about my grey's breath, but I imagine that what they eat does have an effect on what it smells like, the garlic for example. I am sure your sense of smell is heightened now that you have quit smoking so I would not worry about it, and that is my opinion.:P

Congrats on quitting. I hope you stick it out. Best for you and your family (pets, birds in particular included!!). B)

Are you smelling something offensive? I guess as you indicate with more time you may be able to better identify the smell. A perceived breath smell is affected by what they have eaten, just like us humans. In addition, birds definitely have a distinct "bird smell" that may well have been overpowered by the smoking. Some people may be more or less sensitive to the smell. I note a very similar smell on just about every parrot I have handled.

yes good luck with the smoking I hope to do that this new years. You say it has an odor is it like a yeast or beer smell? If so he might have a crop infection. If you smell it you need to get to a avian vet A.S.A.P.

This can be treated with antibiotics. If it smells like garlic or food I think you are safe. Please let us know what you smell after reading this post.

Yes, birds definitely do have a distinct smell on there breath. I've had macaws before Makena, and they too had the smell. I can't really put it into words, as it's a smell of its own, but I think I know what you're talking about. I wouldn't call it offensive though.. It does change throughout the day, i.e. from when they wake up to when they get sleepy at night. Just like us I suppose... I would say it's normal as every bird I've had has this "birdy breath."

As the others have also said - Congrats on stopping smoking!! You and Tui will be much happier without them!

{Characters-0002007C}<br><br>Post edited by: MakenasDad, at: 2007/12/12 04:43

Congrats on quitting smoking...I need to, too. :pinch:

I have noticed a bird breath with many birds, but as Ziggy said if you pick up on a beer or yeast smell it's time to see the vet. Also, be careful not to let your grey eat too much garlic. It's safe in small amounts but it can kill in larger servings.

LOL...this reminds me of Rosie, a yellow collared mini-macaw. She was in LOVE with this guy Frank that works in the fish and reptile department and he would come over and play with her on his breaks. One time she regurged for him so many times (and she would try to put it in his mouth) the smell coming from her mouth got to be too much for frank and he had to put her back in the cage...LOL:woohoo: :laugh:

Guest briansmum

well done on quitting smoking andy. perhaps you can share some words of advice with me.

and yes brians breath deffinately smells nothing like anything i have ever smelled before. but it is not offensive. to me it smells like cereal.. like if i stuck my head in a box of cheerios LOL. it's not strong, and it varies on what he's eaten. his breath is always really warm too. i know so because he's going through his "i will put my beak in your mouth.. failing that i'll try and poke my tongue up your nose" phase.. i'm winning so far.

ziggy is right though, if you smell a perculiar yeasty smell then theres something wrong.

I think the question is his breath and not the bird. If there is a yeast smell or a sour beer smell that is a sign of a crop infection. You need to get to a vet if you smell this. The vet will examin the bird then give him antibiotics for the infection. The actual bird smell has nothing to do with the question. The breath was the original question.

"""""I think the entire bird has a distinct odor, it differs by species too. Its kind of musky. I love their smell""""'

Hmmm, tell me, does your better half know about your unusual attractions and preferences of bird odors? Hmmm, yes, this is a very unusual case study. It will definitely be looked into at the Clinic of Disorders University.

I don't currently have another half, Dave but thanks for asking!

Hello, I'm Joanne and I'm a smelly bird addict. It has been 9 months since my last smelly spell. Since then I having been bathing daily and enjoy it more each day of my life. We take alot of baths around here. It helps in so many ways, I am so eternally grateful to the entire universe for my baths and thanks to this forum and my honesty, I won't ever have to smell a smelly bird again. I can love my birds and myself, smelly or not just as I am. The whole bird.

Signed: Birdmom, Graduate Emeritus, Honors, CoDU

Post edited by: birdmom, at: 2007/12/14 08:33

Post edited by: birdmom, at: 2007/12/14 08:45<br><br>Post edited by: birdmom, at: 2007/12/14 08:47

well Ziggy, he said he just quit smoking so his smeller could be confused. I smoked once upon a time, so I know. Maybe he thinks its coming from their breath, but its really not. did you think about that? birdmom

Well anyways, the only smell I get from my CAGs is the smell of their feathers, their breath doesn't smell but they do smell good. I have noticed at the Bird Shop when I visit all the other species they have, the Amazons and Hawk Heads, Cockatoos, Pionus' all have their own distinct smell. Just like dogs. So, if his sniffer is just adjusting from non smoking, I'd bet there are alot of stimuli coming at him all at once. (You know how the wine tasters take a sip of water in between or eat something to clear the palate....okaaaaaay!)

In any case if you think it is a yeast, yep I'd definitley go to the vet. I give my birds acidophilus in their food a couple times a week, a pro biotic to prevent internal yeast. Hope that helps, and if you want to join a great support group see my other post below. Feel free to share :laugh: ;) lol Joanne

I notice different smells on Makena's breath and there is also a distinct smell of his feathers. I love them both!!

You are right Birdmom, Zarlock is probably smelling a lot of things for the first time. Enjoy it Zarlock!! Welcome to sensory overload ;)