NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Pink Feathers??

KerriAnn

Well Ajax went to the vet yesturday. He was NOT happy, he growled at her the whole time, but he did well. She mentioned 2 things that concerned her. 1. He was a little overwieght, but she said that was expected since he hasn't been out of his cage to get any exercise, 2. He has a few pink feathers on his belly. The owners said that he has had these feathers since he was a baby. I know I should have asked her but has anyone ever dealt with this? What kind of a problem could this be?

Kerri

• Like 1

Pink feathers would indicate the red factor in greys, and that is special. There is nothing wrong with them, it just means that he has the pigmentation in some of his feathers that makes them red or pink as you call it. Some people would love for their greys to have that coloring and we have a few here on the forum that have greys with that red factor in them.

You have a special grey, Kerri.

He definitely needs some exercise to burn off that fat he has put on and you need to work on that but enjoy the red or pink feathers.:P

• Like 1

Yes she is an avian vet, and she seemed very informed for other areas, training, food etc... She even gave me advice on Keno my B & G. Maybe I am dwelling on that comment too much because she mentioned it once but never discussed it with me.

It's so cute though he has alot of pink feathers!

Thanks for your replies!

Kerri

• Like 1

I hate to be a downer here, and sure don't want to frighten anyone, however, pink feathers on an African Grey can be a symptom of PBFD. At this site (

http://www.theparrotsocietyuk.org/psittacine-beak-feather-disease.shtml ), it says:

Acute – mostly in nestlings or very young birds during their first phase of feather growth. There is usually a loss of powder down, with resulting shiny black beak in those birds whose beaks are usually dusty grey. There may be abnormally coloured feathers (e.g white in the normally black Vasa parrot, pink in the African Grey). Affected birds become quiet and depressed, and with a generally ‘grubby’ appearance. Many have diarrhoea, and all will succumb quickly to secondary infections. The classic manifestation of this type of PBFD is the young, recently purchased African grey parrot, showing depression, abdominal pain, bunching spasms of the legs and feet, with a post-mortem examination revealing Aspergillosis infection. This fungal invader is a common secondary problem in such an immuno-compromised bird.

Here's an awful picture of a poor guy in an advanced stage of the disease:

http://www.theparrotsocietyuk.org/pbfd1.shtml

• Sad 1

I too wouldn't worry either since he seems happy and talks, I am going for the red factor as the case.

Kerri why don't you post a picture showing us the pink feathers and we all can have a look at what you are talking about. It could be that since it is just a few scattered feathers they look pinkish instead of red.

• Like 1

Wow, someone didn't like my response about PBFD, because my karma went down. Let this be a lesson to you all: don't share depressing information :pinch:.

Anyhoo, Kerri have you posted a picture of Ajax anywhere? He sounds like a cutie! I'd like to see his red freckles (I think red factors are adorable :kiss:)

• Like 1

I'm sorry that someone felt compelled to take away your karma, Spookyhurst, I would rather they send you a pm explaining why they thought you deserved it.

Your post was the first time I have heard about the pink feathers being a sign of illness but that does not mean that it is not true, thanks for posting it for us to read about. Yes it was depressing to read but if there is any truth to it then forewarned is forearmed.

• Like 1

Guest briansmum

karma from me too spooky, i knew about PBFD. but as already stated i wouldn't worry about it unless your bird exhibits other symptoms of the disease too.

you could always have your bird tested to put your mind at ease. i had brian tested, he was negative. and he has some pinkish feathers on his legs. so they're deffinately not a sign of PBFD

And they strike again (the negative karma police, that is)! I'd say someone doesn't like me very much. At least I've given them a new hobby :silly:.

Back to PBFD, does anybody remember the user name of the person who said their grey was diagnosed with it? I think they also had a second grey that had polyoma, and a cockatoo. I'm curious about how her birds are doing now. I hope that the cockatoo didn't come down with anything :(.<br><br>Post edited by: spookyhurst, at: 2007/12/13 05:46

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 10 years later...

My beautiful Chjango (Big Boy) has pink feathers on his back and his chest. When he grooms himself sometimes they are pulled out and grow back with others sprouting. It started with one feather. Now he must have about 20.

He is a healthy male and is 10 years old.

Loving and very vocal, especially when it comes to food he will let rip with

"Where's my tos (toast) apple, orange, egg egg egg, air (pear)."

His favourite food is toast, mashed potato and egg, either boiled or scrambled. He is also an avid consumer of any fruit.

I have attached a photo.

D

2018-07-01 09.43.59.jpg

2018-07-01 09.50.35.jpg

Edited by Deanne.ronlen@gmail.com
added another photo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Welcome and thank you for the post and pictures. Your sweet bird is called a Red-factor Grey. This occurs naturally (genetically) and sometimes as they fall out, the replacement feathers will be grey. In extremely rare cases, it can be because of a medical condition.

May I suggest, realizing that some of the foods mentioned are your Fid's favorites, it is advised that you should only feed 100% whole grain bread a couple times a week. Fruit, again very little should be fed to a Grey...it's mostly sugar with no nutritional value, 2-3 times a week which is great.

White potatoes should be substituted with sweet potatoes. I am sure you know that they never can eat the "eyes" of a white potato. Eggs,  2-3 times a week is great. Suggestion, wash the egg before hard-boiling to reduce any chance of salmonella. Cut the egg in half, in the shell and serve the shell and all to your fid. You can even take the shell, after it is cooked and bake at 350 degrees and crumble over other fresh food.

Hard pasta such as spaghetti (uncooked) is good substitute for bread. Have you ever made birdie bread? Get a cornmeal muffin mix similar to Jiffy, add baby food jars, (I use two), three eggs, with cooked and smashed shells, and go crazy with your choices of bird seeds, frozen mixed veggies, etc. Use your imagination...and bake to instructions.

As a final thought, the food chain for a parrot is most to least, green leafy veggies, orange veggies, a safflower seed mix (staple), fruit, and bread. It's not the small amount of salt or sugar that can kill a parrot, it is the accumulation of such that will affect them in the long run.

Finally, a couple times of week, boiled chicken bones (Legs) with a little meat on them, no or low-sodium tuna, and our favorite, a 1/2 tsp. of low/no-sodium peanut butter to start the day...(an excellent seed mix to leave in the cage 24/7 is Volkman's Large Hookbill Safflower Mix, no sunflower seeds. Two excellent on-line sources are Chewy.com and Amazon)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much. Chiango gets vegetables every day. He loves pumpkin, spinach and carrots, although he prefers them cooked. I have 4 African Grey's, Chjango is the only one I bought, the rest are rescues. I also have a rescue Indian Ringneck. They all have their favourite foods. They all love spaghetti too. They have a large outside avery although they sleep inside at night, as we live on a farm and have owls as well as gennets, who will go for them if they as left out at night. Only one bites, and that is the Greek. He loves my man, and although I feed him and clean his huge inside cage, he goes for me. The other are just so sweet, especially when the all perch on chairs around the kitchen table and get a few treats like cashew nuts. I love my birds. They are part of the family. Each one has their own personality. Chjango sings opera. They all talk and pick up the amazing little things. When the phone rings, they will all say "Hello" and if I pick up my car keys, they say "Bye!" They know all our names. Chiang will say ooh, every time he is given something to eat. He will not say thank you, so ooh has to suffice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1