NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hemp Seed for Plucking?

seeinstars89

So, I went to a new bird store and the lady there said to help "calm my bird and keep her from plucking" I should feed her hemp seeds.... She had a bag there for $4 and told me she feeds it to her bird and it really helped.... So this sounds really strange to me and I even feel a bit guilty like I am getting my bird high... LOL So has anyone had any experience with this?

I have read that birds are affected by THC (the chemical in Hemp that produces the high) and they have been observed in parts of the world where Hemp grows naturally feeding on the seeds and loving it! ;) I have not heard of feeding Hemp seeds as a particular cure to plucking, though I can imagine it "may" help. However, there also may be negative effects to the animal over the long run so it would be best to investigate more. As Judy suggests, I would confer with an avian vet.

http://www.innvista.com/health/foods/hemp/hempseed.htm

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I myself have them & they are sold in supermarkets for humans to put on there cerel, toast, yougurt etc... there are - hang on let me get the tub.... it says GOOD SEED......sweet & crunchy... lightly toasted hemp seed...eat as a snack or srpinkle on yoghurt, cereal or ice cream - a great source of Omega 3, 6 & 9... then......good for immune system, good for cell growth, good for joints (excuse the pun lol.... this is ment to be in majauana anyway,... by MS sufferers... but that is the weed form - potent).... good for hair & skin... good for cholesterol balance, & good for circulation... so surely all this being good for us.. surely it is good for hem & to be sold in a leading supermarket in the UK surely u cant got wrong.... can u sprout these with water as I have heard that u can???? with others suck as lentils, mug beans, peas... etc... do kidney beans sprout...? xxxx lol...xxx

Hempseed from the cannabis plant is widely used by bird keepers to feed to numerous varieties of cage and aviary birds including budgies, canaries, lovebirds, parakeets, cockatiels, conures, parrots, cockatoos, macaws, British finches. This popular oil seed contains high-grade proteins and is said to aid the copulation in breeding birds (attention birds may become over excited) so provide hempseed in moderation?

When feeding kidney beans make sure they are cooked,dont sprout them ;)

damn I gave sensei some uncooked, sprouted soyabeans the rother day with sprouted munbeans - are these not really good to give uncooked.. I know for kidney beans... but didnt for soya... also know for lima now too.... def will stop giving him raw soya beans - I hope I havent done any damage up until now..... damn it thanx so much for advise... mung beans r fab for them though right....? xxxxxxxxxx

many thanks for the praise - much appreciated - it is hard with these animals as u have no one to compare too usually or ask questions but this website sorts all that out..... really has made me feel a lot more confident & knowledgeable... many many thanks.. & a special thanks to Ilovemygres - thanx....xx Em.Sen

• 9 months later...
Guest AnswersQuestion

Hemp seed is a VERY nutritious seed for both humans and birds. The birdman of Alcatraz Mr. Stroud published a book about bird diseases and it is still being used today. In the book he writes, "Canaries won't sing without it."

The oil of the hempseed is a rich source of the essential fatty acids - linoleic, linolenic and gamma linoleic. (omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids) These EFA's are necessary for healthy skin, hair and immune systems.

Sylvia Wilson writes, "Most pet birds eat hemp seed before the other seeds it's often mixed with. Pets need it to maintain healthy skin and feathers; and so do wild birds. (The lack of hemp seed may be one of the factors contributing to the decrease of the North American songbird population.) Hemp seed is also good food for people."