NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

where are the breeders

steveee

Hey im new here my name is steve, i have been interested in sharing my home with a bird for a few years now and have decided on a african grey, i have been reading many different forums and decided to jion here because the community seems very nice and are very knowledgable. My bird fixation started when i was a junior in highschool but the reality of having a bird at that piont in my life was non existent as i was going away to college. Now that i am settled down i am deciding to pursue my dream. I have been looking around the area to find any breeders to visit some birds but havent had much luck, if there is anyone in the connecticut area that knows of any good breeders please let my know.

thanx

looking forward to the adventure

Rescueing a bird can be a rewarding experience for the right owner and lots of times a rescue does come with baggage but if you really want one I wouldn't ignore the possibility that there is one available. With the proper care, attention and love a rehomed grey can be a very good decision, just might take a little longer to gain its trust and bond with it. Some of our member's grey are resuces and rehomed greys and they will tell you they are excellent companions.:P

:) Yes i have two hand reared greys that i purchased from a breeder, i then re homed a grey & just this Saturday i re homed a rescue grey .The majority of rescue birds will come with baggage attached & it takes someone special to take them on, you need plenty of time & patience, progress is often a slow, but it is definitely rewarding taking on a rescue grey.If you dont think you can go down this road or have the experience i would advise you to get a handreared grey.

If you can get a recommendation to an excellent breeder who socializes the babies well, the bird can be shipped to you. Not in very cold weather though, and you are in a cold state. Oh well. Good luck on finding one locally. Ask for references to good breeders wherever you can - is there a local bird club? Are there any avian vets in your area? They would be good referral sources.

Reta

Hi, my breeder is in Del. But given what they did for my Bella and all the birds they raise, the trip was well worth it. The two ladies who run this avairy are nurses and they use every ounce of nursing nurturing for their birds. When I picked Bella us she was incredibly loving, knew 'step up', and 'no bite' - and of course she was in great health. The web sit is www.kandkparrots.com.

just looked it up on map quest and its only 3 and a half hours, thats not bad at all, especially when you know your going to get a quality parrot anything is worth it you said you got your parrot there too, how old is he/she now? describe her personality a little? how many weeks was heshe when you got em? thanks for the great location, i looked at thier website, looks solid. what should i bring in the car for the bird when the time comes? haha sorry about all the questions i really appreciate the help

Hello Steve,

A rescue is a great way to give a home to a needy bird. They come with alot of behaviour issues that you will need to deal with. Please dont take this the wrong way, but with you not having alot of experiance this might not be the path you want to take. The birds need alot of time and working with and if you do not have the know how this could be a painful experiance for you. I think as great as it seems to rescue a needy bird this might be to much for you to handle. A baby handfed bird is a better choice for you. A grey is a very smart bird that will try to become the alpha bird. They will push as far as they can to see how you will react to it. With a baby handfed bird he is young and you will have better sucsess with it then a rehomed or rescued bird. Again dont take this wrong I am just trying to make it easier for you in the long run.

Steve,

You need a travel cage or travel crate. This is a long ride for the bird and you want him secure while you are driving. When you go there make sure the bird looks healthy and has a good personality. Im sure with going to a breeder he will have alot of good info for this bird. Ask alot of questions before you buy it. Like how is he doing with perching, how long ago did he wean out, has he had a vet check for polinoma, ask to see vet results, look for clean cages or flights make sure water and food look clean and not like they have been in the cages for days. These are simple questions to ask. He/she should have good logical answers for you. If you dont feel comfy with the breeder dont buy the bird. Here is a good way to see if a breeder is on top of his game. When you see the bird for the first time ask to hold the bird, if he says you need to sanitize your hands then he is a creditable breeder. If he says nothing then YOU ask him for sanitizer and see his reaction to the question. I am a breeder and I never let anybody touch the babies without sanitizing there hands. Your hands have alot of germs on them and to touch a baby bird without sanitizer is a great risk for the breeder to take. This is only my opinion.

Steve have you ever had a bird before, you said you were always interested in them, but have you ever had one? If not I don't think an AG is a good first bird. Don't get me wrong, they are wonderful creatures, all birds are, but, I have read in many places and agree that AGs are the best for first time bird owners. When I was considering a Grey the first breeder I talked to also suggested a senagal, they can learn to speak, are on the quieter side like greys, and they are a little smaller. I hope I didn't offend in anyway, I just want whats best for you and any future pets.:)

Steve,

They do ship their birds. it looks like they have one grey weaned right now. I think that was one of the babies they just received from the breeder when I picked up Bella - they are adorabe.

Kathy and Karen (the breeders) work with one breeder who sends the hatchlings to Kathy and Karen for hand feeding and socialization. The socialization with Kathy and Karen is the biggest value in my mind. They have such a genuine love for these birds that birds really have an excellent chance of becoming very well socialized.

Good Luck!

Terri

Hi there Steve!

Bella was fully weaned at 4.5 months and that's when I picked her up. Bella is very loving, and very curious about everything. She is very easy to teach because she is so curious about everything. She was well socialized with other birds (I have a conure as well) because Kathy and Karen let the birds interact with each other in the avairy. So, when I brought Bella home she didn't try to pick a fight with Jiggy (Jiggy was the one spoiling for a fight, but he figured out her beak might not be something to mess around with LOL!).

Bella had been taught "no bite" and "step up" on to a stick so that made life a good deal easier for me. She already started talking at Kathy and Karen's and of course she jabbers away now.

I had a travel carrier when I picked her up. But Kathy and Karen sell supplies too that you can pick up there.

They will also stay in contact with you and help with any transitional issues. Let me know if you need any thing else.

Cheers!

Terri

Gosh Terri, these people sound wonderful and this would be the best choice for Steve to get a baby grey. They should get more business now for the free advertising here on this forum:P. I think if I decide to get me another bird I may have to just check out this breeder from the good recommendation from Terri.

hey nerf gun i totally understand what you are saying. it has been a long road to deciding which bird to get, iwould compare birds and how they would behave and how loud they are and what not. Yet when it came down to it, the ability to own a bird has to do with the owner not how well the bird will behave... I am a school teacher so i have tons of patience, i will have plenty of time to have him out as i will get out of work around 4. i have many breaks and no spouse. ive been coming up with diet plans and diferent treats. I know i am a very dedicated person and i feel im ready for the challenge.

Steve,

I, too, have read in multiple places and heard from many different people that an AG is not a good choice for a first bird. But I met a dejected little TAG living a sad little existence and I took him home with me anyway. I've made mistakes, but with lots of research and the help of the folks on this forum, we're coming along. I'm sure he would have been much better off with an experienced caretaker, but lovemygreys, judygram and nychsa don't have enough room for all the needy greys out there ;) Anyway, if you've decided on a grey buy are still undecided on whether to adopt a baby or a rescue, I can vouch that taking in a rescue is deeply rewarding. But if you do that, you would need to make a solemn commitment to stick with it for the long haul. The last thing any abused animal -- bird, human or other -- needs is to be rejected again.

Whichever you choose, I'm sure it will be the right answer for you.

Kat

judygram wrote:

Gosh Terri, these people sound wonderful and this would be the best choice for Steve to get a baby grey. They should get more business now for the free advertising here on this forum:P. I think if I decide to get me another bird I may have to just check out this breeder from the good recommendation from Terri.

Judy, they really area wonderful - Bella is now 7 months, but I'm still in contact with them. The love they have for the birds really makes all the difference in socialization I think. They only work with one breeder where they get the hatchlings and they've been working with her for some 15 years from what I understand. They do keep the large MaCaws in a separate space, but the Amazons, Greys and Conures are in the same space and it is a riot in there! One of the Amazon's picked up Kathy's "no bit" command so when one of the new ones nipped the Amazon would say "oh, oh, oh! No Bite now!" LOL!

I highly recommend Jane Norman from Crofton, Maryland. She hand feeds the babies IN HER HOME. This is where we purchased Teko two years ago. HIGHLY RECOMMEND. Jane gets her babies that were bred from the world known breeder Jane Pattison, THE African Queen in Florida. Her greys are advanced weened and "step up" before they go home. Incredible breeder...I cannot say enough about her.

Here is her link: http://www.janesparrots.com/meetsusan.html

Post edited by: Teko, at: 2007/12/12 03:34<br><br>Post edited by: Teko, at: 2007/12/12 03:35

Hello Steve,

I hope you are going to make the right desision. Greys are a little tricky. I wish you nothing but the best on you new adventure. Birds are very needy and they are also very smart. You might want to get some books on behavior. Bonnie Munro has a good couple of books you should pick up. One is called My Parrot My Friend and the other is called Parrot Training they are very good books to have. Also Barrons have a collection of books The Guide To A series. Also excellent books to have. If you deside on a grey you will have a loyal pal forever. Just watch the mood swings.

Good Morning Stevee and everyone else

I received a message this morning from our Breeder, Kathy and Karen at www.KandKparrots.com and they told me they have two grey babies that are close to being weaned available. They are very anxious that these greys are placed very well because they are very loving, snuggly, and allow pretty much anyone to handle them. Because these birds have such calm dispositions and are so trusting, and loving Kathy and Karen want to make sure whom ever they go to will provide an appreciation and an environment for this kind of bird. If someone is out there who is looking to provide a warm, and loving home to a grey, these two babies sound like they would return the love in many ways.

LOL Kat - now that would be evil wouldn't it! Then he'd have 3 of them ganging up on him - poor guy would need a shrink after a while! But seriously - I wish I could pick up one of them - but I have to think about the quality of life I can provide and the amount of time I have - and right now - two dogs and two parrots - they pretty much keep my busy!

Hi there:

Welcome!

You said: where are the breeders - 2007/12/10 17:32

thanks for the reply, craigslist.com? the idea of rescueing a bird seems like a good idea, as long as there arent any bad behavioral problems, i will have to look into that. ?

Well it's Craigslist.org not .com, but please do be careful about buying a bird on there. You will have no way to know if the bird is healthy unless you insist upon a vet exam including a CBC, b4 you agree to buy the bird from someone on CL. Often a bird looks beautiful, but the owner may have just learned birdie is sick and wants to unload it to avoid big vet bills. Now it becomes your very expensive problem. Not to be negative, but a vet visit will run you over 200-300$ and it is cheap insurance.

I did that b4 I rehomed charlie and he was worth it I'm glad I insisted. And I went to visit him four times to make sure he liked me. He was biting everyone else, but he just chewed on my scarf. It was over a month from the time I first em them, to the day I brought him home, and they delivered him to me. They wanted to see how I live.

So if you find a bird on CL, go visit it several times You will want to see how they handle their own bird...Is it biting them and why? Is it flighted? Does it have alot of toys? If they are in a hurry to get rid of their bird forget it something is wrong.

But if they really love their bird, they will care to find the right new owner and check you out. They will also agree to a vet visit. You can offer to split it $ 50/50 provided the bird is healthy but they should pay for it all if he is sick, and you then won't buy it. (you should require at least a CBC and fecal gram stain for negative gram bacteria from a certified Avian vet. (aav dot org)

I do believe that a rescued bird is sometimes a lucky bird but be smart about it; assess the situation. Walk away if you don't get your questions answered.

For eg: there is one on there now it is a female, posted 12/16 In Brooklyn- Owner seems reticent and conscientious. Another dated 12/12 a male 5 yrs old, $800 with Kings cage. Owner seems motivated; But why? 1718 628 0499 ask for patty. $800 for a grey that talks, with a Kings cage is a great deal. Why is she going to let her bird and cage go for that price? I would find out.

Just go to Craigslist dot org, Search by State, then city, then select Pets on the left under Community, then type Parrot into the search field. See what hits you get. Good luck, birdmom!