NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Not Normal Positioning of wings

Neildw

Hi,

I got my African Grey "Kimi" on the 3rd of march 2007, as a birthday present.

My wife and I hand-raised it. It was 6 weeks old when I got it

Kimi is a very clever bird and since my wife is pregnant Kimi doesn't want to have anything to do with her,

He doesn't bite her or anythinglike that, he would rather walk around her instead of over her lap.

It's mimicking the microwave but doesn't talk yet.

But I've got a problem

His wings covers his chest and not his back,the way it should.

Because of this it looks like he is afraid of flying, 'cause he will jump of his cage on to the couch,

and I'm scared that he will jump of the cage on to the floor and hurt himself.

We haven't trimmed his wings yet as I was told that we need to leave it until he starts to use his wings.

My Question is:

Is it normal for his wings to be positioned in this way?

What can we do to fix it?

Sorry, this morning I read what I wrote, and damm it didn't make any sense at all,

what I wanted to say is the following:

No, I haven't taken him to a vet yet,

It doesn't seem to bug him at all,

It just looks very odd as you can see in the picture

OLD MESSAGE

No I haven't don't that yet.

he's quit happy. and it does seem to bug him

it just looks odd with his wings covering his chest and not his back

but I will take him to a vet. I just need to find a good one in South Africa (JHB)<br><br>Post edited by: Neildw, at: 2007/12/11 07:14

Hello Neil,

If I am calculating correctly based up the date you got you Grey, it is around 9 or 10 Months old.

he should have been trying to fly at 12 - 14 weeks old. If he has never tried to fly and his wings are positioned as you describe, Chapala is right on the money, you need to get him to an Avian vet for a check-up.

Something is wrong.<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2007/12/10 15:57

I agree, something does not sound right here and you should have Kimi evaluated by a vet. You indicate Kimi is happy etc ;) , so the most important thing is to understand what may be going on so you can continue to provide the best home possible for him. Keep us posted on the status. B)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I've taken kimi to the Vet.

and the vet told me that Kimi is in a good condition

The problem with the wings looks like a generic problem and

would never have survived in the wild. he also told me to contact the breeder.

It could be a complete batch that is "Faulty", Sorry it sounds like an appliance. he he.

else there is not much he can do for kimi. overall he say's kimi looks fine.

Kind Regards

Neil de Weerdt

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear Kimi is healthy in general. Sounds like the genetic wing condition makes the little one that much more special to provide a loving home for. Probably is worth contacting the breeder for discussion if possible. All the best and happy new year!

Hi Neil thanks for the picture & up date, it certainly does look like a genetic thing.As long as Kimi is in good health I know you will provide a loving home ;)

It is worth contacting the breeder to make them aware of this & to see if any of the other babies had the same defect.Please keep in touch :)

Thanks so much for updating us on Kimi, he does not know he is different from other greys but you have provided him with a loving home and he will continue to bring you joy and happiness. I am glad he is otherwise healthy and happy.

I would speak with the breeder you purchased him from if it is a chance it is genetic.

Please keep in touch with us, participate in this forum all you want, we care about you and Kimi and we want to know how he is doing, but for now he looks good, is contented and you love him unconditionally and that is all that counts.:)

I have no Idea whats wrong with that sweetheart. My heart akes for her and your loving home. She acts so wonderful and seem very happy, which she must be. If there is nothing that can be done, I know you will never see her as different, and she not. She is who she is, and will love you always, bringing you joy and happness.

SO MUCH GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND YOURS.

SHE IS A REAL WINNER

Joe

Hi all,

Regarding

Does he seem to preen normally on the wings and can he/does he extend them to stretch etc?

Yes she/he does preen normally and can extend / Stretch them.

as far as as I can see it's only the wings the not positioned normally. else She/He is very happy.

other thing is that she / he doesn't like fruit.

and to lazy to open up peanuts. he he he.

btw. Thanks to all for the reply's on my messages.

I didn't know that there where so many gray lovers out there.

and I mean "Lovers" cause there is lots of people that have gray's but not so passionate about them.

Last night it sounded like kimi wanted to say Hello. but not a full Hello yet.

but at the end of the day if she / he doesn't talk it's not going to be a problem cause my wife and I will still love him / her.

and last night she / he went more to my wife than me. so I'm wondering if he / she can feel that my wife is pregnant

what do u guy's think??