NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Children's Toys for Greys?

Nychsa

Greetings Everyone!

Bella has taken a great interest in my computer (no wonder, I'm on it all the time) and she plays with the keys, particularly the ones that make noises when she plays with them. She repeats that over and over. I'm wondering if she might find Children's toys of interest that would do the same thing (and would save my computer!) Does anyone have any experience with Children's toys and greys? If so, which ones did you find were of particular interest? Are there any concerns re: the materials?

Thanks!

Terri TheFlock2.jpg

TheFlock2.jpg

I think that would be a great idea!!! Infants toys with big colorful buttons and switches are going to be safe and durable. Fisherprice or playskool would be a good place to start. Just make sure they make noises you can stand, since your grey will assuredly pick them up quickly. GREAT IDEA!!!

-Hannah

Childrens toys are an excellent (and often cheap) source of toys. Second-hand stores and Thrift stores are great places to find bargains. Just remember that your birds beak is a lot stronger than an infant so just watch out for parts that can be ripped off by a bird. Also, stuff with batteries in it can be dangerous.

Klaus has the big colorful "car keys" that I think every baby gets a set of. Also, a plastic ring with cloth monkeys hanging off it. And another "teething" ring with different balls & circles on it. I've also given him alphabet blocks and Lincoln Logs. But someone on here said that the Lincoln Logs are treated with something that might not be good for birds, so I haven't given him any Lincoln Logs since.

Oh this is all great news LOL! Well, I have to get some gifts at ToysRUs tomorrow so I think I'm going to pick something up for Bella too. She is so different then Jiggy - she readily explores anything I share with her - Jiggy's first reaction is to attack it and RUN! He only comes around after he watches Bella play with the new thing.

Well ToysRus is certainly a brand new experience now that Jiggy and Bella live with me! It's amazing how much I see for the parrots LOL!

I was able to restrain myself and not buy a whole room full of stuff that would have overwhelmed them. I settled for one of those talking phones that counts up to 4 and teaches colors and songs. And a wooden bead gym with a mirror on the bottom.

Bella, my grey, is pretty good about new things - she investigated the gym right away and found scooting the large wooden beads up and down through the gym quite interesting. She hasn't played with the phone yet, but the message starts off "let's play with numbers" and she's got that down and is repeating that.

Jiggy, my conure - well, his first reaction to anything new is ATTACK!

Greetings everyone!

Well the talking telephone I bought for Bella and Jiggy is a total hit as well as the woden bead maze (the beads are about .5 inches, so they are nice and large). Bella has figured out how to get the phone to talk (and I'm going to be regretting this soon LOL!) and she seems to like to press the number 1 constantly. I think I'll keep it in numbers mode as I don't think switching it to learning colors would enhance what she's learning.

Bella's interest in the new toys has helped Jiggy overcome his desires to simply attack them and he's now actually trying to play with the beads as well. I really enjoy how they learn from each other. Jiggy watched Bella open one of her screw top toys to get the walnut treats, and now he's doing it as well. In fact, he was able to open the treasure box with the keys after watching Bella do it.

Watching them learn and explore their world is such a joy! (I think - I've been hearing the phone say the number 3 now for the past half hour LOL!)

When I have the birds out in the evenings I like to relax and watch tv. I bought them baby toys MONTHS ago to play with on the couch and they are still going strong. Most of the parrot toys that I bought them are either too big, or attach to the cage, or they destroy them in a couple of days.

I love to shop in the baby section for my birds... I am sure my neighbours are wondering when the baby is due!!! (Gaining a little weight round the middle!)

I imagine the number 3 might get a little tiresome soon, maybe you should show her the number 2!!!

LOL She likes the number 1. I don't leave that toy in her cage as it has a battery and I think she should only play with it when I'm around.

Yes!! The Baby section is awesome for the Greys! I saw all kinds of things that would delight Bella, and really challenge her and help her learn.

Jiggy, my conure is getting on good with the toys too. If it weren't for Bella, he wouldn't be doing this well as he is by far not as curious and socialized as she is. He is very suspicious of anything new and attacks it first. But he can't stand it if she's involved with something, so he gets in on it dropping his suspicion. I think that is awesome!

Cheers!

Terri

Yes baby toys are good for yout birds. Please watch for all the toys be recalled for lead. There are alot of recalls right now so be careful. If you go to Mattel and Hasbro there are a list of toys being recalled. Check the list before you buy them. Most have been pulled from the shelves but I noticed that alot of people are buying from a second hand store. They might still have some of the recalled toys in there store. Thats why I say check the web sites for a list of them.

Guest briansmum

great thread everyone on baby toys. i have a toy, talking telephone for brian. but he's more in to toys he can destroy than ones he can learn from at the moment, and despite his best efforts he can't crack the baby toy :)

thanks very much mario for reminding us about the dangers of some baby toys.

i would also add don't buy toys for your parrots second hand, you don't know where they've been or what they've been in contact with. washed or not, it's not worth it.

YAY!!! Now I have an excuse to go in the baby section. Hahaha. My sister asked if there were some little things I wanted for Christmas, and I told her to get me toys for my new baby bird (who is still not born yet as far as I know).

Have fun Christmas shopping for your feathered family members!!!

Hannah

Guest briansmum

HAHAHA hannah i was the same. when my mum asked what i wanted for christmas i replied "bird toys", i'm not sure whether she didn't hear me or simply chose to ignore me :laugh: