NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

cause of death...

BMustee

OK, this isn't about my CAG...it's about my female Star finch. I know, I know, there is another room for this but there is not much traffic in the "other birds" room so I'm asking here.

About a month ago I noticed that the base of her beak was starting to look whitish and the normally vibrant orange/red was lightening up all the way to the tip to a dull orange/horn color. She laid 3 clutches this breeding season and had no issues with egg binding and for being her first breeding season she successfully raised 6 babies. Now, the day before she passed I noticed that she was getting plucked around her left leg and had a dime sized bold spot. I was getting worried about her but the Owl finches are laying eggs so there was the possibility that they were picking on her for bedding. I put extra nesting material at the bottom of the cage and was going to keep an extra eye on her. I came home from work the next day and found her dead...I was very upset. She never got puffy, or was staying at the bottom of the cage longer than normal for her. Has anyone heard about any avian illness that might present itself like this? I still have my male Star and the set of Owls and I would like know what happened to her to take precautionary measures with them. As for taking her to get a necropsy done, I'm guessing that she died in the morning because she was already starting to smell when I found her around 5 o’clock, which means decomposition had started and I would probably waist my money and the vet’s time having one done.<br><br>Post edited by: BMustee, at: 2007/12/06 15:56

BMustee,

Just in case you didn't realize this, you might wanna use it for future reference concerning breeding your finches. Many species can mix together and each species can breed while other species are in the same area but Owl Finches are known to have aggressive tendencies during the breeding season towards other finch species. Many people I know who have different finch species have said that the Owl Finch may not be ideal for a mixed collection. Just thought you might like this little tidbit of info.

Well, I have the large flight cage in my bedroom and watch them all the time and I have never seen any bickering between them...these sets have been together for about 2 years. I used to have a set of Zebra's in the cage with the stars and owls and they would chase the other birds so I got rid of the Zebras due to the bullying. I have yet to witness any "pecking" fights or perch chasing. I'm thinking that she was starting to get plucked because the other birds may have sensed she was sick and were trying to run her off...but I didn't witness any of it.

Bmustee, I am so sad to hear of your loss and the dilemma your in trying to figure out if any disease may be present.

I only have Zebra breeding experience for 7 years (I really miss those morning greetings in a chorus of around 40 since I let my relatives take them over) and as you stated, watched them go after each other for various reasons. Your Star finch of course was a little young to die of "Old Age", but several factors could have lead to her unfortunate death, as you well know.

The spot you describe would be an unusual one from what I have ever seen, if it was related to fighting and picking at each other, which usually results in the neck and back feathers being pulled out by the foes.

Again, you have my condolences on your loss.

Thanks Dan...I feel soooo bad for my male because this is his second mate to die on him. :( Because all the Star finches in my county are from my pair I can't just go to the pet store and buy a new female...I'm not having any baby Kentucky finches. :laugh: I'm in talks with an aviary out in Cali that have Stars and can sell me three unrelated birds (I might as well get a second set). The big catch is that I have to ship them on Delta due to the season so it's going to cost me $115 just to ship. I have to get my male a new female but I don't want to spend that kind of money if there is something infecting my flock. I have been reading all kinds of things online today trying to find something that sounds like what she had so I know what to treat the other birds if signs of illness pop up on them.

Oh Boy, poor Guy, so he is getting older then since your female he was mated with was 2?

That would be an expensive (relatively speaking) set of Stars with the shipping. I agree it may be a little early to get the new Stars if you have any doubt about a possible disease being present, though unlikely, since you have not introduced any new birds to your flock recently.

I wish you well in your endeavors to determine the cause and in replenishing your Star flock! :-)

Yeah, thats what is weird. The last finch to come into the flock was her, and the grey is the only other bird I have got sence her...and I would know if something was wrong with him.

I really, really, really, want to get those Stars and I was telling my boss at the pet store how much I loved these two specific Lady Goulian finches so she said she would talk to the owner about giving me a deal...I was planning on buying them the other day right before the Star died. So, I have 3 Stars and 2 Gouldians that are in the works...all of which are very $Pricey$.

I was thinking about getting a Quarintene kit from a place called All Bird Products...the kit has dewormer, mild antibiotic, SCATT, and a few other things and treat all the finches. Do you think this is something I should get?

I love Gouldian Finchs!!

Yes, if you are thinking about bringing in all those different birds from various origins. Quarantine and the kit would, if nothing else will ensure your present flock is not endangered and that when you do introduce these new candidates into your flock, you will know they are healthy and disease free.

Your starting to make me jealous now, with Stars AND Gouldians!! :-)

The Male has the red head, white chest...the female has the black head and purple chest. The female actually picked me. Everytime I walk over to the cage she is in she jumps over to the perch closest to me and starts checking me out, turning her head upside down...she is just too cute.

Here is a pic of the stars...my b/f calls them space cucumbers:laugh: .

Star.jpg

Star.jpg

Those are lovely finches, and society finches were the first birds I started with and I still have a zebra finch. Those gouldians are very pretty, I have seen them in pet stores but I have never seen the owls, but they are very interesting looking, I can see why they are called owls. Thanks for sharing these pictures with us.:P

I started with Zebra finches, my second set were the Stars. I had wanted the owls the moment I saw them, they aren't the most colorful but the pattern on them is just amazing. I love hearing the male owl sing because it is so quiet and he doesn't do it all the time like most finches. When I hear him start to sing I always stop what I'm doing and just listen. It's so calming and no matter how stressed I am it seems to melt away when I hear him.