NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Sleeping Cage

jamie777

I'm bringing Romeo home soon. he's a TAG 16 weeks old. I have a nice large cage that is in the living room. It's all ready for him.

My question is... I want him to get a good nights sleep and if he stays in the living room I don't go to bed until late so he will stay up because of the TV and so on. So I want him to stay in my bedroom it's quiet and he will sleep better. The temp in the house at night gets down to 69 F. This might sound funny but what do you think about a large plastic bin with holes on the side and a perch in the middle? So he stays warm at night? When Romeo was younger they had him in a plastic bin. it sounds terrible:blink: but it wasn't. I thought he would feel more secure and stay warmer at night.

Please tell me your thoughts.

Hugs,:)

Jamie Romeo_4.jpg

Romeo_4.jpg

Hello Jaime,

You are correct by wanting to put him in another room. Birds need to get rest and if you are up then he will be up if he is in the same room. The plastic bin will be ok for now but mabee you should have a smaller sleeping cage. It is for sleep only, when it time to go to bed for him just put him in for the night. Every morning go in and get him out and put him in the larger cage in the other room. Be concistant with it. He will get the picture that when it is time for bed he will go in the other room. Greys are very smart, so what ever you choose to do just continue to use it from that time on. If 9 or 10 oclock is bed, then its bed. He will get to the point that he will be comfy in there and want to go to sleep. The cage does not have to be to big because it is only fot sleep and not for regular day use.

Hi Jamie,

My Grey's have the same cage day and night and live in an area of the house that they can see (and be part of) the daily activity, but we can also shut off their lights in the evening and they sleep while we do other things. We generally keep our house at 65 degrees in the winter. I've worried in the past that it may be too cold for our birds but I've spoken with some avian professionals in the Mpls area and they indicated that many birds often do better in homes they are kept in the upper 60's. I've had Grey's for 5+ years and never had any trouble with sickness, any indication the house was too cold, etc. I would however, welcome feedback from others on their opinions about room temperatures. My sister also keeps her home cooler, but each of her parrots has a heated perch on their cage. Once your Grey outgrows his plastic bin, you may want to invest in a sleeping cage with a heated perch, it may be a bit more economical than turning up the heat in your room. Just some thoughts. We're looking forward to hearing all about Romeo when you get him home!! Don't forget to include some pictures.;)

LOL, Jamie you are such a good person, concerned about Romeo getting cold. I personally don't use a heated perch but if it makes you more at ease then by all means get one. I am another one that uses the day cage for the night cage. It is just easier that way for me.

69 degrees is not too cold for the bird at night. Ours are outdoors (covered area and protected from wind), and the temps are now around 50 at night. I don't think a heated perch is at all necessary, but do whatever makes you comfortable.

For your situation, a sleep cage sounds ideal. I would suggest a smaller cage, and I did use one for my Grey when we were in a different house and it was hard to have a quiet, dark place at night. The sleep cage I used (doubled as a travel cage) was 24 x 20 x 18 high. They get used to whatever routine you establish, so should be no problem. The tubs are fine for unweaned baby birds, but to me it doesn't sound good for a sleep cage.

Reta

• 2 months later...

Hello, all -

I've recently purchased a nice new sleeping cage for Oliver. It's 18 x 24 x 33 and it's just the perfect size to fit in the back of my SUV for travel. He was annoyed by it at first but now he seems to love it. My question -- should I put food/water in the bowls for him at night? What about toys?<br><br>Post edited by: KatB, at: 2008/03/04 14:31

I would definitely put water in the bowl and maybe some pellets for a midnight snack but it is not necessary to put any toys, he will be sleeping in it not playing. But put some in for when you travel with him, it will give him something to do while he is traveling.:P

Yes, Dan, after lots of agonizing and poll-taking, I've decided to take Oliver with me on a 16 hour (one-way) drive to meet his human grand-parents. They are really looking forward to meeting him, and I know he will be totally spoiled while he's there!

Spoiled, you reckon, he will enjoy himself I am sure, I am so glad to hear you are taking him along even though 16 hours is a long trip, he will be with you and that is what counts, I think he will do fine. I know you will let us know how it goes when you get back, Kat.

Yes please let us know how he does when you get back! I would love to know! I have inlaws that live about 4 hours from here, but I think going there with the kids and dogs would just be hectic for sweetheart lol. But let us know how your trip goes and how your parents liked him?

LOL you may even get a play by play while I'm there -- I'm not known for staying offline any longer than I have to. I'm thinking we'll do it in 2 hour sprints -- drive 2 hours, stop for a rest, drive another 2, stop for a long rest, do another 2 + 2, stop for the night, etc. I'm not much of a marathon driver, myself.

When we go to WV to visit my son we go straight there and it is a 4+ hour trip and Josey does fine, she sits on her perch in her cage and you'll hear her ring her bell from time to time and chatter some.

I'm up for play by play if you want to do that, would be fun.:P

Hey, I might just do that! From Virginia Beach to Memphis, on the road with Oliver the Grey! Could be a good time :P I hope the weather is nice so I don't have to work too hard to keep the climate agreeable for him.

So, Judy, when you travel with Josey how do you keep her comfortable? I know not to open windows or turn an a/c vent on him. Other than that, is there anything I should be careful of?

Just watch out for sharp turns, you don't want to turn the cage over:laugh: I usually put her cage on the back seat so I can get to her if I need to but she does fine. I put the perch down low so if she happens to get off balance and fall off she does not have far to go but she does good at griping the perch.

We are going this weekend and I am taking both Josey and Sunny with me, I haven't taken my sun conure before but my daughter cannot keep her so she goes too.

That's a good idea about lowering the perch. I had decided to pad the bottom with a folded towel, but a low perch will work even better.

I think I've hijacked this thread pretty thoroughly, don't you? :whistle: I'll start a new thread for travel talk.