NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

temprature question

cowgrls101

We live in a temperate climate and our birds are kept outside on a covered terrace, as most people keep parrots here. That means they live with the normal temperature fluctuations, which in the winter get down to the 40's at night, though we're still in the 50's now. Normal winter daytime temps are in the 70's. Our birds are very healthy, never sick. They are protected from wind and rain. It is important that they are used to the temperature fluctuation, and nothing sudden is done like taking a house bird and putting him outside one night. But they do wear down vests and can stay warm at night if it doesn't get too cold. ;)

Reta

Now for the other extreme, Alaska. Today it was -8 F outside and our grey and cockatoo were a comfortable 69. I always thought for indoor parrots should be kept in 68 F or above. It's really cool to hear chapala and how their birds are acclimated to the fluctuations. Our birds don't have down vests but what a great idea, what better place. We have a wood stove and in floor heating. We pay close attention to make sure they aren't getting any drafts. There's a picture of my birds in front of the stove on my greeting in the welcome room.

See you out there

Good points MazyAK, it's very important to keep the birds out of drafts, so not near an outside opening door or any other area with a draft.

In the wild, the temperature does not remain at a constant level, like 72 degrees. The warmest we get here is in the low 90's for about a month and a half before the rainy season starts. The birds are absolutely fine with that. Nights would be around 60 then, so 30 degrees variation between night and day. Now, we're getting about 20 to 25 degrees difference between night and day. The extreme will be 30 degrees difference for winter also.

Two of our parrots are Mexican native species and we are quite close to the habitat range (same state) but higher elevation. So the species of these two are adapted to a wet and dry season, higher humidity, lower humidity, hotter and cooler, etc. I don't know enough about the rain forest environment where Greys come from to say anything about temperature range, humidity variation, etc., in the wild. But, my Kali does just fine with our conditions.

Reta

Hello,

The ideal temperture for sa grey is over 75 degrees. In there natural inviroment it is quite hot all year long. You need to keep them away from draft and if you have givin them a bath and are still wet you should have them in a warmer temperture. Also be carefull that it is not to hot birds do not have sweat gland like we do and can over heat quite quickly. Yes there body temperture is always warm they can also be cold to the touch.

One of the main areas that Greys live in, in Africa is Cameroon. Here is a temperature chart by season there. You can see they survive and thrive in the Hot and Cold seasonal fluctuations from a low 0f 30's to the high 80's listed quite well.

c4b443e6-4f17-4f1a-a2ee-2d333ef9ba32.gif<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2007/12/05 15:44

• 7 months later...

i no nobody has posted on this topic in a while but since im a new grey mom and monty is only 4 1/2 months and loves it outside i thought i'd check it out. we live in the uk where weather is a mixed bag:unsure: would it still be ok for monty to go outside in our temerature fluctuations? at the moment it's supposed to our summer here and its 18c 64f outside with the sun shining but sometimes you can knock 10 degrees of that. what will be the safest lowest temp to take monty out in if only for 20mins or so in the sun?

and also at the other end of the scale he loves it in my conservatory as it's big and light and his favourite room but in here the temp can sometimes reach 41c 106f as it did last week:blink: is he ok in this heat? he seemed to pant a little and i gave him plenty of water and he sat with his wings open slightly i presume his way of cooling himself

thanks in advance for any answers

I take Liath out from late Spring to mid Autumn. Once it isnt raining and it isnt windy. She absolutely hates the wind. She is on a harness, so if I think she isnt liking the weather or the temperature I can take her straight back indoors.