NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

electric heaters

DANNI

I would like to know if it is ok to use an electric heater I purchase from Walmart to heat the area where Danni's cage is. Our house is sometimes a little drafty during the cold winter days. This is a very small heater just big enough for the area she is in. It is not ceramic.

If it does not have any teflon to it, that is definitely not safe, but don't put the heater too close to the cage and turn it off when she is out so there is no possibility of her getting burned.

Why don't you introduce yourself in the welcome room and tell us a little about yourself and Danni.:)

I'm sorry, I am not sure how to get to your welcome page. I wrote a little about myself when signing up, I'm not sure if that is what you meant. I will be happy to write something but I am really new at this I have never chatted on-line before so please excuse my ignorance.:blush:

A good type of heater is the electric oil-filled radiator type. That is safe to use, but still it's recommended to "burn it off" for a few hours outside or in a garage when it's brand new They provide an even heat, and don't get so very hot to the touch as many of the element type do.

Reta

Danni,

Many electric portable heaters do contain some teflon, and I have learned that the manufacturers don't write it on them, I checked. I even returned a bread maker, because the breadpan was coated with a non stick finish. Be sure not to use teflon coated or non stick cookware it contains PTFE, toxic to birds. It's pretty risky. I ditched all mine for stainless steel.

You may have to look at it and make a guess but I'd rather not guess. The problem is if the manufacturer coats the parts with the non stick stuff, it likely contains PTFE, which will omit an odorless gas when it reaches high temperatures, that is toxic to Parrots that we cannot smell. But it can kill you Parrot.

I wouldn't try it. Better to wheel the cage to a warmer spot in the house during cold months.

joanne<br><br>Post edited by: birdmom, at: 2007/12/05 01:20

Hello,

Yes go to the welcome room and we can give you a formal welcome. As for the heater They are all correct on telling you about tem. They are dangerous and you dont need that. To many things can go wrong with one of those space heaters. Teflon and also sented candels are a huge NO NO when you have birds in the house. Please make sure you have none of them around the house.