NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

CAG beak

dblhelix

Hi all,

Just thought I would share an observation with you, particularly newer owners with younger birds...

Kip is now 18 months and about a month ago we noted that something was clearly changing with her beak. The beak is constantly growing in an ongoing process but it became visually very evident that something was going on. The "ridge" many have noted past the apex of the curve in the beak was much more defined and the beak color around the apex of the curve became very light horn colored. We were joking that she was turning into a TAG since she's on the small side :P Anyways the area continued to get lighter and then a pretty large piece just flaked off! Now there is beautiful new, really smooth beak beneath (all black). Very shiny like when she was a baby! I know this is a normal process birds go through but this was the first time I really got to watch the whole thing and thought I would share my experience in case others observe something similar.

:P:);) B)<br><br>Post edited by: dblhelix, at: 2007/12/04 04:07

Hello,

Yes they do shed their beaks and this is a great tread for people that would not know about this. Like a snake a birds beak will grow and the old beak has to shed to make the new one come through. It is so nice to see the new beak nice and shiny and smooth. Ziggy just went through this last month and still has a little left to go. I help him along by picking off the old particals.

Karma for you Mark

I get my birds beaks filed at the vet 3 times a year so have not noticed the peeling that you speak of. As soon as they start to look ragged I take them in. I thought this was what you were supposed to do? My greys are 5 and 4 yrs old. My amazons are 27. all of their beaks seem to grow at the same time and like clockwork need their trim one after the other. My conures don't seem to need the filing quite as often, maybe twice a year.

"I get my birds beaks filed at the vet 3 times a year so have not noticed the peeling that you speak of. As soon as they start to look ragged I take them in. I thought this was what you were supposed to do? My greys are 5 and 4 yrs old. My amazons are 27. all of their beaks seem to grow at the same time and like clockwork need their trim one after the other. My conures don't seem to need the filing quite as often, maybe twice a year. "

Parrots' beaks grow at different rates, but most birds if they have enough to chew on maintain their own beaks at a good length. Wild birds do not get their beaks trimmed, instead they chew on wood in nest making and other activities. If a parrot's beak is not overgrown, there is no reason to take the bird in for trimming.

Reta

Most birds in captivity care for their beaks and there should be no need for any filing. Provide them wood and other chewing/beak exercise material. They also keep their beaks perfectly tuned by grinding the upper and lower parts together. Unless there is overgrowth or an actual problem, trimming can produce problems by limiting your birds eating and climbing ability. A ragged looking beak to us may be perfectly normal and natural for a bird. Again, unless there is an actual problem why trim at all?

• 8 months later...

my 3 year old CAG is having her beak 'moult'.. I take her to the vet for most things, but with her beak, i let it run its course, i also help her by picking of the old white bits.. I know this might sound stupid, but will a whole new top layer of beak eventually come? Her beak looks really un-even at the front.. In previous posts i have made, i have always said that she is in perfect health. And she just had her mot at the vets...

Know it might be silly, but thought i'd ask lol

michelle & adanna

• 1 month later...

Hey - just wanna say thanx again for all the info.. Sensei has started to show this horn colour dark brown beige shade... around the tip of his beak - def looks more like a TaG's beak well the tip of it...

it also is slightly uneven with a faded ridge or 2 - is this the beak peeling so to speak..

I was very concerned now I am understanding it is natural... so happy about that....

so should I help a bit when it starts to flake by picking at it... as some of you do lol

this will not hurt or be sensitive to him at all will it.

I am getting a quaker at end of month - does this happen to them too..in fact.. does it happen to all birds>>

many thanks for all ur posts about ur greys - this site has prevented may a trip to the vets..

Emz.. & Sensei..