NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

quick question ?

mervyn2233

Hi guys i know theres prob a thread on this already but i brought my grey to local vet yesterday after he became ill ,just didnt move in cage and stayed very quiet we knew he wasnt himself so went to vet as a precautionary measure .Vet checked him over said it might be a virus so gave him anti-biotic for few days ,hes alot better today thank god but getting to the point he was weighed for the first time since we bought him he is now 5 and half months and weighs 450 grams the vet didnt really know if that weight was average so what you think guys ?

450 grams is in the average range for a Grey, but the vet shuold have examined him to see if he felt fat or thin. Greys vary a lot in weight and build.

I'm surprised the vet gave him an antibiotic when he thought he might have a virus (?), since antibiotics do nothing for viruses. Is this vet experienced with birds?

Reta

Thanks siobhan i did speak with vet omalley in wicklow and she addvised on what to do as he was really sick so time was against us really as she is 2.5 hours drive away from us and was closed in 1 hours time so we went to a vet that knows alot about birds ok yes not parrots but examined in as we tought he might have fell durin the night as when we woke he was limping badly and just not himself so he checked all his bones etc and as precaution gave anti-biotic as his feathers were puffed out and didnt whistle chirp or anything so was like a diff bird .As it turns out he is 50% better today after some anti biotic so he done saomthing right i assume ,But like you said we are stuck when we are in that situation with one in the whole country thanks for understanding

I am trying to convice my kids to become avian vets... just think of all the money they would rake in...

I could have one of them move to Cork, one to Wexford, and of course the best of the three of them would have to stay in the Midlands!!!

The poor little guy, its really scary isnt it? So far I have only "needed" a Vet once, when Liath was sick. My vet does routine checkups and emergency first aid. But thats about it. But he is very quick to admit when he doesnt know and rings Bairbre for advice.

Give him loads of cuddles from me!

Siobhan

Treating with an antibiotic is sometimes a must but you should ask the vet about treating with Dyflucan or nystatin or a similar drug after an antibiotic. Treating with antibiotics can sometimes kill the good bacteria in the crop and cause a yeast infection dyflucan or simialar drug will help to avoid this problem if the antibiotic was given orally.

Wil find out about that thank you , i did ask him will it do any harm to him even if he doesnt have anything wrong with him that maybe he might of just having an off day if you know what i mean but the vet said hell be fine either way he gave us baytril or something to that affect 0.1mg a day

Well Mervyn, I hope your grey is going to be ok, I know avian vets are hard to come by there where you are.

Siobhan, that would be a good profession for your kids to get into, lord only knows we need more avian vets and not just in your country but everywhere.

Some of us don't realize how lucky we are to have multiple avian vets within a short driving distance. The important this is that he seems to be doing better. I've heard that low-fat yogurt is good to give pets after being treated with antibiotics. Is this true for birds if given in small doses?

I know my grand-daughter's pediatrician asks us to give her yogurt when she's taking antibiotics. Something about antibiotics killing the "good" bacteria and yogurt replacing them. I would think it's the same for any being taking antibiotics, avian or human, but of course could be wrong.

The primary use of probiotics is to restore the normal flora in the crop that often occurs because of poor diet or the use of antibiotics.Here are a few links I found this morning. Live culture yogurt can be fed but as a dietary balance (my personal opinion)not to treat yeast infection. It wouldn't hurt to ask the vet to get you the med to treat your pet. Its just an insurance policy.

http://www.cagenbird.com/candida.htm

http://www.realmacaw.com/pages/yeast.html

http://www.poultryyouth.com/articles/article-5/