NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Local Pet Store

jimmycoop2005

BMustee...that web site is great...I'm coming down there just to peak in that store...good grief, what a lot of crazy animals you have! Ziggy, I think everyone knows you were generalizing...and probably rightfully so, BMutee's store is the exception, not the rule...but given what you said, rescue work is good, but it seems like pet stores need good caring people too...and people who are willing to learn and love birds should be the ones to jump in there and give them a good home until they go to their "real" home. I read that Petsmart is giving up their bird sales to bird rescue instead and donating money to those causes. I wish the big chains would all follow this example. Although, BMustee...is your store a chain? It seems huge for being privately owned.

No, I'm 22 and I have been out of high school for almost 7 years now...it only took me 1 1/2 years to graduate. From your wording it most definitely sounded like you were saying that all employees at pet stores are morons and did not leave any wiggle room for the exceptions, thus the "crucifixion" as you put it. Also, my store rarely hires high school kids because of child labor laws and schedules. I think there might be one or two in the kennel, but not in with the birds. High schoolers to me is not just an age bracket, it's a state of mind. I know people that are in their mid 20's and by the way they act you would swear they are were freshman. As for the sanitizer, you wrote ***"so called employees don't use or tell customers to sanitize their hands before touching those birds. I say never, they are kids from high school that have the knowledge of a flea..."*** that sounds to me that you say NO to the request of sanitation. You may not have meant ALL employees at pet stores, but your wording implied otherwise...which I took offence to.

The store was opened in 1981 and is owned and operated by the Hornsby family. It is a huge store, so it is pretty surprising that it's a private owner and not a huge chain.

The Zandri's bird is a Mealy Amazon. That one was about 6 months old in that picture.<br><br>Post edited by: BMustee, at: 2007/12/04 16:56

I wish there were more stores like this one scattered over the US, I have to buy most of my stuff online for we have no stores that specialize in birds. The pet stores we have only have a few birds at a time, I could go nuts in your store, BMustee, and spend all day there.

I would love to work at a rescue Ziggy, however there isn't a close one to where I live. I think that I would do fine in a pet store, sure I am learning. But you have to start somewhere. If I don't know an answer I would defiantly look it up, not give them some bs. I don't think the High School question was intended for me but, I am in my 3rd year of college.

Jimmy,

All I was saying is that you want to make a differance you need to have a little more knowledge. I dont mean to sound rude but your thing is that you do not like how they are being treated. This is from a lack of experiance. Yes you would be a good worker, but thats not my point. My point is that you seem to love these birds and to get great knowledge you would be better working at a avain club or rescue. Its not that you would not make a good worker I just think you need to have more experiance if thats what you want to do.