NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Greetings from Alaska

MazyAK

More wood! Argggh I thought I was tough, I used to live in Denver. Here in Cali I keep my thermostat at 70 and start to chill when it gets 68 in here. We had a cold snap last week and it got into the high 30s and low 40s at night. Does anyone know how cold a temp the Greys can tolerate?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey birdmom: I don't think greys should be exposed to temps. below 68 degrees. 70 is more preferable.Today it is -8 degrees outside and the bird cages are at 69 degrees by the wood stove. We have a big open house so we're heating a lot of space. If you're concerned put a thermometer by their cage. (where they can't possibly get it) (mercury would be fatal if they got some)Our 10 cords are put in for the winter<br><br>Post edited by: MazyAK, at: 2007/12/04 22:43

Well thats what I thought, if its comfortable for me its okay for them is the rule of thumb I go by. I like it 70 to 72, at 76 I get warm and 68 I get cold. I do have a thermometer on the wall out of their reach, for that purpose. Just thought I'd do a reality check, since you really live in a cold place.

I know of someone here in Northern California who breeds birds and has an outside aviary in an old barn. She says they are out there all winter, no problem. But it's below the snow line, and I guess in the barn they stay warm enuf but we get some nites down in the high 30's or low 40's between Dec and Feb. She says her birds have always lived out there, and has greys.

They must have nests and stuff to stay warm. No heater.

Now thats a nice winter scene at -8, brrrrrrrrrr, are you sure 10 cords of wood will be enough. I know we go thru a bunch of wood, we have a woodstove for backup for we never know when our power is going to be off and we use our fireplace in the family room almost every night.

What wonderful Photos Mazy!!

That is a hug home to heat, I would imagine you also have a wood or other fuel heater upstairs too or perhaps you rely on the heat rising?

I agree with everyones posts on the temps staying around 69 or up in the Winter. As others have posted, my local Breeder also houses all their Breeders outside in 3 huge unheated aviaries that get down into the high twenties and thirties here in central California. The Parrots from Conures to Macaws do just fine.

In fact, we were over visiting with the Breeders the other night and they were telling us a pair of Hawk Headed Conures they have love to jump in and take a bath when they go out and crack the ice in their water bowls!! :-)

DanMcq: Our radiant heat has several zones throughout the house, and two ceiling fans circulate the wood stove heat. I was worried about the fans , but the birds don't seem to want to go that high. They just like to go to the upper balcony rail and look down. I'm finding out through you folks that the parrots are a little more resilient to colder temps than I thought. (thank goodness it's warmed up here, if you call 9 degrees above warm)

Bruce & Mazy

With all this talk about cold, I have to ask the standard question: Is it dry cold? I spent 3 weeks in Iceland during winter a couple of years ago, then another month in Maine in the depths of winter, and found the Maine winter to be much colder, although the temps were much higher at right about -10. The Icelandic cold in the negative teens didn't seem near as cold.

Hey KatB: Where I live in the upper most part of South East Alaska in Haines, it is a dry cold. Just 100 miles south is the Tongass Rain forest which is a very wet cold and generally not quite as cold .I think we are more like your Iceland experience. I'm hoping our snap is over for the winter , however January usually has a snap also. My birds don't notice it but the other day Mazy got a wide eyed look when I opened the door with her there. (She isn't very helpful bringing firewood in)

Wow! Hey Dan, do you live near Tulare? I have cousins there. So it sounds like somebody down there breeds Hawk headed Parrots? They are so beautiful, they get them in the Bird Shop here periodically and they're soooo sweet! Buddi and Charlie also like to bathe in ice water.

Hi Birdmom and Mazy - Yes, Tulare is only 10 miles south of Visalia where I live. These cities are located in central California.

The Breeder I purchased Dayo from, breeds Hawk Headed Conures, amongst all the other Parrots she breeds..Greys, Macaws, Ringnecks, Suns, Green Cheeks etc... :-) We love visiting her and her husband. We become very good friends during the 10 weeks we were visiting Dayo before we brought him home.

Hey Dan: That's great you have made these great friends in the bird world. Breeders can be so helpful. That's one reason I'm grateful for this site. There are virtually no resources in Alaska. There is a bird club in Anchorage but 900 miles away. If there is an bird vet that's the only place there would be one. There is a vet that flies from Seattle to Juneau every so often, but then we have to fly from Haines or take the ferry. One of the drawbacks to living in the bush.

I know it's a off subject but can you play golf all year round?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey All:

The latest from Alaska is snow, snow, bitter subzero, then more snow.

Our birds like to watch out the window at the snowflakes falling. The X-mas decorations are exciting after they got used to them and they took great joy in ripping paper wrapping on Christmas day. Talk about easy bird toys for the day.

Hope you all had a wonderful holiday and enjoy whisking in the new year. We hold the annual New Year's party in "The Valley of the Eagles" We have the largest gathering of Bald Eagles in the world from October till January,here outside of Haines. Here's the "Funny Farm" in all it's glory.

See ya out there

Bruce & Mazy winter_wonderland_2.jpg

winter_wonderland_2.jpg

• 1 month later...

A winter update from Haines Alaska. I hope most of you are warmer than we are. This last month we've got over 5 feet of new snow giving us a total of over 12 feet so far this year. The last few days we've been spared any new white stuff which has allowed me to catch up on removal ( love my backhoe), but the reprieve has come with a penalty. The last couple of days it's been -27F. Much too cold to be out and about but a great time to spend with the birds and cleaning the attic. The birds love to help clean. Only they usually help the mess get bigger instead of smaller.

I've learned so much since joining this group and hope I've helped others.

Keep the spirit.

Bruce & Mazy

Bruce_plowing3.JPG

Bruce plowing

Post edited by: MazyAK, at: 2008/01/30 03:01<br><br>Post edited by: MazyAK, at: 2008/01/30 03:03

Bruce_plowing3.JPG

It is getting ridiculous now. At least the snow stopped for a few days. The downfall is that it has gone to -20F to -27F. Many more days of this cold and I'll welcome the snow again. The birds are staying warm near the wood stove though. They spend a good deal of the day upstairs where it's a little warmer and besides nobody here is spending much time outside. We throw old rolls and bread out on the lower roof and they love to watch the magpies get it. I included a picture of the birds observation window. As you can see there is plenty of the white stuff.

Bruce & Mazy

The_bird_watching_window_2.JPG<br><br>Post edited by: MazyAK, at: 2008/01/31 20:51

The_bird_watching_window_2.JPG

So I guess Alaska is out of the question for a grey gathering,,,lol. The one thing the cold clear does is give us natures light show which is something that must be seen for yourself. Here's a shot of the Northern Lights above our house.

Bruce

Northen_Lights_over_the_Funny_Farm.JPG<br><br>Post edited by: MazyAK, at: 2008/02/01 03:21

Northen_Lights_over_the_Funny_Farm.JPG