NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Greetings from Alaska

MazyAK

Mazy,my CAG has lived in Alaska for her 13 years. The first 5 years she bonded was and living with me. The next 7 years I was out to sea too much for my relationship and Mazy. I am a 30 year commercial longline fisherman in Alaska. Mazy stayed put while I didn't. I would see her once or twice a year, and she would always perk up and come cooing to me, then scold me for being away. Now I'm an old fisherman who is home all but 3 months a year and less sea time every year, so Mazy is now with me again full time in Haines. She has become much more outgoing in this last year but still thinks her and I are the only ones who rate in our flock. Wife, kids, and new cockatoo do not, however several others are gaining better status with her every day. Last winter out of state on family business we had many hours of waiting and found ourselves at a bird breeders shop. Many hours, over several days and home we flew with a newly weaned sulfur crested cockatoo. (my wife's bird) Mazy actually likes the company in the cage next to her , ( but she'd never admit it) They do have supervised social time out of the cage, but you know how a teenagers' patience is with a toddler. Mazy is growing her flight feathers back as I feel they should be, although she doesn't know what to do with them yet.(we have a large house with excellent flying conditions and the "too" is proficient at it now). Mazy has lift but doesn't know when or how to stop. 13 years of non-flight, but we're both eager and determined to learn. In the winter we have a lodge where helicopter skiers and snowboarders stay while in Haines. We cater mostly to film crews and their athletes here to shoot winter movies. A great winter life for the whole family. Our kids are on snow machines and snowboards all winter and skateboards and four wheelers all summer.I've visited this sight often and got good help from the forums. With two different breeds in the house I have an ever growing lists of questions, and changes take place daily. I look forward to being a part of this site and hope I can contribute from my experiences. Thanks and see ya out there. Bruce

Post edited by: MazyAK, at: 2007/11/30 04:21<br><br>Post edited by: MazyAK, at: 2007/11/30 04:22

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello and welcome to the family, Bruce, glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and Mazy, what a beautiful name for a grey.

Thats great that even though you have been gone for long periods of time she has not fallen out of favor with you but I am glad you are able to spend more time with her.

Please read over the many threads on various topics for lots of useful information and just ask those questions you want answers to, we will do our best and help you in any way we can.

You sound like you live a very interesting life, granted in the cold most of the time but lots to do in the snow, certainly a beautiful place to live, have always wanted to visit there some day.

If you have a picture of Mazy you would like to share with us we would love to see her and the cockatoo too if you have one.

Hello, Bruce, and Welcome! What a wonderful description of your life with Mazy. It's amazing to me how loyal these little birds are. Only seeing you a couple of times a year, and she still holds on to her bond with you. Now that's a special relationship!

Kat

Thank you both for the welcome. I have so much to do and learn, it's exciting to be a bird parent again. I'll try to get a pic here. I'm very new to forums and the such. I'll figure it all out. I've cruised the forums deeply and had many things answered yet much remains. I guess flying for an old bird will be my first post coming up.

Thanks again

hello Bruce,

Welcome to the family. They are true companions for live arent they. You have alot of catching up to do with Mazy.Im sure you and him will get along like you never left. A longliner hah, I had a very good friend of mine that was a longliner out of gloster. Swords mostly, went to the grand banks and the flemish cap. His name was Mike and he was 4th generation longliner. He would tell me storys on how hard the work is and he left it to be a senior vp of sales at a pharm comp. Well nice talking to you look around there are many people that will give you great info that you need. Again welcome to the FAMILY

Thanks Ziggy...yes, I'm the Alaskan equivalent of your friend minus the generations. Halibut & Blackcod are my money fish. The "Fairweathers", "Alutians", and "Bering Sea" are my grounds. Mazy is feeling secure that we're together for the long haul now, and she's into exploring life again. Boy is she!

See ya out there Winter_grey.JPG

Winter_grey.JPG

Welcome Bruce and Mazy!!

What a story and great introduction. :-)

It's great to hear how your relationship with Mazy is flourishing again and that you two are now renewing that longtime bond you've had.

This photo of the snow scene with Mazy is wonderful. Thanks for posting it.

Looking forward to many more conversations with you and seeing more of those photos!!

Welcome to you Bruce from the West Coast nor cal. We are in the Capital City, me Charlie and Buddi. Well I woudn't worry too much about the birdies getting along, I have two greys who are both in love with me, I don't expect them to like one another. They mutually tolerate one another's presence but I think they secretly want to get rid of the other!

Careful with the flying, they can run into all kinds of things on accident, mine have wings trimmed but Buddi tried to fly in the bathroom (didn't want a bath) and landed on a towel rack, the towel fell off and landed on her which brought down a magnifying mirror with it that was sitting on the counter next to it; the cord was draped over the towel rack so it pulled down the mirror with the towel. When the towel fell the mirror did too and Buddi narrowly escaped being crushed by the magnifying mirror. So, no flying here. She was so frightened, she started shaking and her knees gave out, I had to pick her up and comfort her in a few minutes, she was over it but it was too close!

Thank you all for the warm welcome. What a great group of bird lovers. FairY, what you see in Northern Exposure is actually pretty accurate as far as Haines goes. We have a 4 way stop sign, and no fast food, no movie theater, not much of anything. But we do have a public radio station so we can get messeges. We do have the largest gathering of bald eagles in the world from Oct. to Jan. on the Chilkat River. They call us "The Valley of the Eagles". It's pretty amazing to see several thousand eagles all at once. Now with snow on the ground they stand out all over the river bed. But it's 10 degrees out today and playing with Mazy in the warmth of the wood stove takes up most of the day.

MazyAK wrote:

Thank you all for the warm welcome. What a great group of bird lovers. FairY, what you see in Northern Exposure is actually pretty accurate as far as Haines goes. We have a 4 way stop sign, and no fast food, no movie theater, not much of anything. But we do have a public radio station so we can get messeges. We do have the largest gathering of bald eagles in the world from Oct. to Jan. on the Chilkat River. They call us "The Valley of the Eagles". It's pretty amazing to see several thousand eagles all at once. Now with snow on the ground they stand out all over the river bed. But it's 10 degrees out today and playing with Mazy in the warmth of the wood stove takes up most of the day.

wow, that sounds so magnificent, Bruce. I hope you understand how lucky you are :)

yes it gets colder.......cold for us is -22 below zero.But Mazy and Avi (the cockatoo) are kept very warm in a typical Alaskan lodge style home with the big wood stove and heat in the floors. They never get below 68 degrees, and through the cold snaps never seem to shiver. They have all the luxuries a bird could desire.

They like to watch the snow fall from their kitchen bay window perch.

Bruce

I'm sure it's nice and warm - especially if there is besides the stove heating from the floors - as you mentioned.

Nice pix, nice place for them. :)