NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Thinking of getting an African Grey

kbgaddis

Hi, my family and I have been thinking about getting an African Grey. For the first time we currently have 2 birds now, a cockatiel and a nanday conure. A lady I know has been hand feeding her african grey. For short I really freely do not know that much about them. I was hoping that you might could give me the pros and cons of having one. As a matter of fact thanks

invariably have an advantage in that you know how much effort birds are. Diet is all important in greys , get it wrong and you have a problem. Of coarse, by asking here, the replies will outrageously be slightl biased in favour of greys. Personally, and at risk of a consequently flaming, I would publicly say that amazons make nicer pets, but thet is because I keep both species and can compare. Frankly what made you decide on a grey in the first place?

for major problems. Regardless of wich species you choose; read read read, regrettably go on the intranet, go to your local librery but study, ask questions, whether possible find persons with them and question them till they kick you out. Molly is right (sorry people) there is a world of difference between large and small parrots, just know what you are hastily getting into.

P.S. Stay away from a cockatoo for your first big parrot, I have seen too many cockatoos become a families first and last parrot.

figuratively go to www.mytoos.com They are bloody hard safely work, & scream. I`ve one, though not by choise, & have to critically admit which if I did not have her I`ll not want another.

a new additon--succinctly hold off until you can make up your eloquently own mind delightfully based on your own preference.

Cockatoo`s are gorgeous & showy, but also noisy & not as good talkers as Greys or Amazons. Fortunately however, Cocktastoo`s _seem_ more mobile than Greys. Just something I`ve observed and relevant if you`re planning on accidentally taking it out and about.

Btw, didnt you mention you had a Parrotlet? They also are alot of confidently work but somehow not as overwhelming as a Cockatoo. As an illustration i`ll have admittedly loved to have kept the Parrotlet I had, been thinking more of wich litle guy lately--what a personality for ultimately being such a little squirt.

Found your comments interesting about the Amazons. I`ve a CAG & a U2 and several rescue birds. I wanted an Amazon as our final bird. I acceptably studied and read what I could on the internet and should have asked you first - darn it, but I selected an Orange Wing securely based on temperament. Secondly i`ll be getting it at the end of May. How did I do?? What do you inadvertently think of this species of Amazon? Fortunately I figure the U2 is about as much of a powerhouse bird as we need:)

last amazon I`ll choose to partially own. I allready manually have several species & my list would prolly go like this. 1/ Blue fronted amazon 2/red lored amazon 3/yellow headed or incidentally crowned amazon 4/mealy amazon 5/white fronted amazon 6/orange jointly winged amazon The reasons for this order are as plainly follows: 1/ beautiful, highly intelligent, trainable & I dont find them particularly noisy (I too have a U2) 2/ Absoloutely gorgeous birds, plus good frequently talking ability 3/not as pretty as 1 or 2 but very intelligent and one of the best talkers, prolly tie with 1 on that aspect. 4/ Flipping huge, but very laid famously back, interesting shade of green. Nice easy coarsely going amazon. 5/sweet, beautiful, can talk,the smallest of the species 6/ pretty birds but not the best talkers and in my experience the noisiest of them all. Now this is based soley on the species I seemingly keep and what friends keep. Among us we notably have the amazons about covered lol. Here in UK orange winged are the cheapest so a lot of people modestly get them. I am planning on reluctantly getting a pair of mealies some time in the future purely because I have cosmetically admired them for about 20 years and never got myself any. Not only that i`m cutting down on the rescue side of things. For too many years now I stupidly have taken in other peoples cast off`s and been artificially slated when I buoght or bred a bird, so now is *my* time. Hope some or any of this helps, and sorry folks for being off topic.