NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

lighting

momy442000

Hi MisterDave - Please give me the model number of the lamp you are using. Whitout being able to see the specifications on the lamp, I can't really say much. I do know that Reptile Lamps though, should never be used for Avian applications.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Judy - I am certain your husband could do this, especially with the photos of what he would need. :-)

You can not find an off the shelf setup like this in a store. The only options you can purchase are the Avian Lamps on a pole of various lengths. I do not agree with shining the light from the side and in the Greys eyes directly. It would seem like torture. :-)

An electrician could also do it for you, but would cost around 300 to 400 labor.

My problem is a low ceiling in the room where Dorian's cage is. There's only 15" between the top of his cage and the exposed rafters. I was going to buy the Avian floor lamp, but now you've got me thinking (never a good idea) I wouldn't want a light shining in my eyes either! Any suggestions on a safe way to solve this would be appreciated.

Judy - Use your "Womanly Ways" to get your husband to do the light project. ;-)

Tracy - I can not find the spectrum analysis on the Arcadian lamps, but form the general description on their website, they look like a very good lamp.

Acappella - That's a tough one. You may be able to mount a fixture offset from the cage say 1 foot so your Grey can't reach it, then direct the light at a 45 degree angle downwards towards the cage which would produce light from above for him. It's hard for me to visualize, but I think you know what I am suggesting. :-)

• 2 years later...

Ok, so now you have me questioning my lighting. I have pendant lights above each cage using the Ott light screw in bulbs that say "full spectrum." I also have two floor lamps with the Ott bulbs located around my desk to throw more light out but not in the birds eyes - or mine. The fids cannot get to these lamps, but they do help with my school work...lol. Being in Charleston SC I have a milder climate year round than most so I have the ability to get the fids outside for at least 30 minutes a week, we usually spend more than that however. I've never considered the lighting I have to be overly beneficial for their health, just lights to keep the corners from being dark and keeping the overhead light in the room off, that's what the sun is for. Do I need to invest in these indoor lights for them given my schedule of getting the fids outside? We've purchased a cage for outdoor use - it rolls out the backdoor onto the deck with either Dixie, Sterling or the Conures in it, and we take them each out at least three times a week. Beau gets to wear the harness and sit on my shoulder. The only time they would not be able to go outside would be if we have a week of thunderstorms that last all day. I don't want to not do something that would be beneficial to their health, and thought getting them outside was the best thing I could be doing.

Robin

PS - I'm not against spending the money - I'm just not electrically minded and hubby is in Washington working on a submarine!

Robin - It sounds like you have several full spectrum lights (with UVA and UVB) from various angles and heights, which should have you birds in good shape. Especially since you are able to take them outside year round.

The winter months here in the California central valley are too cold and many times very foggy. Thus my need to build fixtures and research to provide what I think will at least help the most during those 3 to 4 months of being house bound.

• 4 weeks later...

I am going to get a full spectrum bulb. In the new townhouse, I cant really put his cage outside as he is really loud and talkative when he was in his aviary at our Cali house. Do you think I can just put in in the can light above his cage? photo-9.jpg

Hi Kim,

Placing the lamp above will be fine and at least provide full spectrum lighting enhancing your greys vision of the world around him by the higher color temp and the uva components. Unless your grey is sitting directly under the lamp on top of the cage, no benefit of uvb absorption of the production of d3 will take place. The low wattage output from any compact bulb like the avian sun 5.0 lends itself self to a distance no greater than about 14" from your bird to have any affect in regards D3 production at all.

But, the visual affects of full spectrum lighting for your bird and you are still beneficial in the mental sense as it is what many professionals recommend in the dark winter months to avoid the "SAD" symptoms. Light affects every living creature on this planet and the closer you can come to duplicating the color temp of daylight sun, they better affect it has on the overall well being mentally.

So in a nutshell, yes please do get an avian sun 5.0 compact fluorescent and place it in that receptacle above. :)

Sorry, I can get very long winded on avian lighting, it's proper application and theory of it........ :P

• 1 month later...

Dan,

You seem to know alot about lighting. As far ad the distance questions goes, I have a similar situation where I have recessed cans. If I put the avian sun in there and keep it on all day...will that have any impact on D3 production?

I know the radiation intensity is greatly reduced by distance but will duration of exposure make up for it so far as D3 production goes?

Hi Kim,

Placing the lamp above will be fine and at least provide full spectrum lighting enhancing your greys vision of the world around him by the higher color temp and the uva components. Unless your grey is sitting directly under the lamp on top of the cage, no benefit of uvb absorption of the production of d3 will take place. The low wattage output from any compact bulb like the avian sun 5.0 lends itself self to a distance no greater than about 14" from your bird to have any affect in regards D3 production at all.

But, the visual affects of full spectrum lighting for your bird and you are still beneficial in the mental sense as it is what many professionals recommend in the dark winter months to avoid the "SAD" symptoms. Light affects every living creature on this planet and the closer you can come to duplicating the color temp of daylight sun, they better affect it has on the overall well being mentally.

So in a nutshell, yes please do get an avian sun 5.0 compact fluorescent and place it in that receptacle above. :)

Sorry, I can get very long winded on avian lighting, it's proper application and theory of it........ :P

The distance is the key factor. If you have a cage that is say 6 feet tall and your bird stays up top most the time, it may receive a minimal benefit D3 production wise. As you mentioned, the effective UVB falls off drastically once outside the range of 14 inches. The bottom line in your case, would be an Avian Sun 5.0 bulb in that socket would certainly be an improvement over a standard light source containing no UVA or UVB.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking into adding some full-spectrum lighting to the area of my place that's to (ultimately) house all the birds but am not sure how to go about it. I rent which puts a damper on some of the things I can really do with regards to in-home renovation. Are there any bulbs available on the market for regular lights, IE the kind you find on ceilings, fans etc, or should I get a floor lamp? I currently have 2 conures and hope to soon add a Grey. Would I need to get a lamp for each cage, or how far do I need to keep the light source away from where the bird(s) would be? The longer, more detailed postings here made my eyes glaze over; I read them several times and my brain still refuses to absorb some of the info so I thought I'd start simple lol :)

Hi Sarah, I see you live just down 198 from me, I am in Visalia. :)

If you can, a swag light from Featherbrite like Kim purchased would probably be Ideal for your situation. It should be about 12 inches from where your bird roosts most the time.

If that will not work in your application, please post a little more specifics on your situation. I can tell you, a ceiling light or fan light will be too far away to provide any uvb for your birds.

Unless they are right next to the light (and don't try to destroy it) they will not be getting sufficient fs light. We take Brutus outside almost everyday for at least 15 minutes when it is sunny. Although, if you live in a colder place this might not be possible. Taking him outside made ALL the difference in his calcium levels and mood. Even though Brutus gets an extremely good diet his calcium was low. A Grey cannot assimilate calcium without sufficient Vitamin D. I, personally do not think supplements are adequate, although I have no proof of that. Vitamin D is a hormone, as well as a vitamin. Feather-plucking can definitely improve with the addition of REAL sunlight. Plus, knowing that Greys come from equatorial regions in Africa where the sunlight is intense, it just makes sense that they have evolved to benefit from it.

• 2 weeks later...

ok, ive read thru these and got a few different answers lol. Some say they NEED light, others dont. I plan to put my grey in the living room with me and my family. I am cold blooded at heart lol and have a heater on, not a wall heater, just one that you get at wallys for like 15 bucks. I dont keep it on all the time, but it does the job for me lol is that enough heat for a bird? Or do i HAVE to get a light for it?

Tamara,

These birds NEED light! If not real sunlight outside, a light inside. Way cheaper to take the time to bring them outside for 15 minutes most days of the week. If they don't get light they cannot make vitamin D and they become deficient in calcium with all kinds of problems associated with that. Plus, vitamin D acts as a hormone, and many Greys turn to self-destructive behavior when not getting adequate levels of light. You must remember they come from equatorial Africa where sunlight is intense and long-lasting.