NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Leaving your bird

jimmycoop2005

When your Grey was a little Grey and you were starting the bonding and you had to leave to go to work or the store, bed or even the bathroom did your bird chirp and screech? I feel bad because he seems like he wants me to stay there the whole time. Of course sometimes I can't, I was just wondering if this is part of "bonding"?

One more question; I was told and I read to be consistent with the time I spend with him. I get him out usually the same amount of time everyday but sometimes it is off an hour or two on the times I get him out. Do you think this is a big deal? Generally he is out 3-7 hours everyday.

They communicate and sense if you are leaving, some chirping or talking is normal. You want to try and be realitvely consistent with time out etc, but you actually do not want to have too set of a routine. The more adversity you expose them to the more well rounded and adjusted the bird will be. You dont want them to be so set in their ways that if you change your schedule etc it upsets them. I have found the more changes in schedules, environment etc you can expose them to the better. B) They are cute and it is normal to feel "bad" if you go aware etc, but they need to be able to handle that. Try not to fuss and fret over things and they wont either. :)

My grey will call out when I leave the room...so I call back. Contact calling is a good way of letting your bird know that your still around, just can't be seen. I let my grey know when I'll be right back or I'm leaving the house for a bit...they learn the difference between "I'll be right back" and "See you later".

I have my grey out pretty much the whole time I am at home, but sometimes I change it so that he stays in a little bit after I get home. I work two jobs so a few days I work them both and leave before the sun comes up and don't get home till the sun has long been set and he is fine with it. Get your grey used to being by himself and used to not being with you 24/7 because there are just so many people that have come to this forum for advise on plucking because of a big schedule change from the owner being in the hospital or on vacation and had caused separation anxiety...and a bald bird. So, leaving him is really one of the best things for him so that he is comfortable in knowing you will always return.

I agree, they do need somewhat of a schedule but not rigid, for we all have to do things and go places that puts us later getting home and they do need to be able to spend some time alone. I try to make the time I am home special for her and so far I have had no problems.

Guest briansmum

chirping and screeching is perfectly normal for babies when their humans leave, some adult birds contact call too.

yes it is important to get them used to some change, as people it is very difficult to run our lives procisely to the minute. for example, i'm not working at the moment so I'm home most days, but I do go out sometimes, because I have kept brians routine flexible he's fine with it. and like BMustee suggested make it clear when you are comeing straight back and when you'll be gone a while.

and remember the cardinal as cute as they are don't spend any more time with your baby than you intend to offer it through it's adut life :)

Mark (dblhelix) hit the nail square on the head regarding changing up the time out and schedule.

All Greys contact call when they see you leave the room or hear you somewhere in ear shot.

I have checked, without Dayo knowing to see how he reacts if we walk down a hallway out of view or leave through the door outside.

They KNOW the difference. When I left, I went around the house a peeked through a window, he was playing on his toys, knowing we had left.

If you go somewhere they know you are still in the house, they contact call, you return the call etc. and of course, when they KNOW your still in the house somewhere, the contact calls just keep going up in volume until you return it and enter the room :-)

I agree with dblhelix. Everyone says that Greys like a set schedule (which is probably true) but I agree that it's important to expose them to many different conditions, schedules, foods, toys, etc. IMO it's very similar to a young child. They'll develop better and be more open to new experiences.

The "Contact Calls" are also very common and can be trained to a more pleasant call (ie from a Screech to a kissing sound). One other point about leaving your Grey, if I'm leaving my Grey for a long period of time then I tell her "I gotta go to work" and if I'm leaving for a short period of time I tell her "I'll be right back". I don't know if it helps but I like to think she's smart enough to know the difference.

Klaus does the whistle you'd do to call a dog when I leave the room, then does the wolf whistle when I come back in. It's hilarious that he does his whistles in context! When I'm out of the room, I call back to him that I'll be right back.

Yes, I've heard the the consistency of when they get out (i.e. letting them out the same time every day) can actually be more important than the length of time.