NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Talon needs Advice!

Talon

Advice needed: I have Talon who has a sleep cage in my bedroom, she comes out in the am, has breakfast with me & I put her in her downstairs cage when I go to work about an hour later. My other 2 parrots sleep downstairs, dont come out in the am because my amazon never goes back in her cage unless its nite. It has been this way for 19 years...2 weeks ago, Talon escaped her cage while I was at the store ( which has happened several times over the years) & just hung out in the kitchen with no issues...Ever since then ( 2 weeks later) I can not get her to go in her cage no matter what tricks I try...I have to catch her in a towel and put her in...she mostly sits on a top shelf in her cage & for some reason wont go around her cage even to eat of drink that I can tell ( I have cameras)...She seems scared of something, so little by little I ended up taking all her toys out one by one to see if that was the issue. I have tried EVERYTHING, she is perfectly fine when she is out of her cage, and she will willingly go to her sleep cage at nite. Just desperate now as I need her to go in her cage willingly & not having to chase her & corner her to catch her every day...Before this, she willingly stepped up & went in her cage whenever I asked...thinking of buying her a new cage, since I am at my wits end..all my tricks she remembers & wont fall for more than once! Appreciate any help if anyone has any suggestions..Thank you, desperate for answers!

• Like 2

That's a conundrum. So nothing has changed? No new furniture, lighting, nothing moved around in the room etc.? That's all I can think of unless something really spooked her while she was inside and you were gone. I would think you would have seen that on the camera.

• Like 2

Thank you for your support. I did look back on all the cameras & don't see anything that scared her, but obviously, something did,..Nothin in her cage or the room it is in is different. She was out all day yesterday, I have seen a bit of hesitancy in her when she is out. She stays up high & is cautious.  I just talk to her alot & offer her treats, trying to show her all is well.  HeRand my amazon had a day yesterday where they were testing each other, flying thru the house chasing each other...they seem to be working something out..

I have noticed on the camera that she stays on a high shelf in her cage this past week. She has a wide cage, where one part is not as high as the other...I brought up a smaller width wise, but taller cage from my basement, power washed it & set it up almost the same as her cage..many more shelves up high to perch on, less toys...She didn't see it yesterday much as she stayed out of the bird room..I toweled her & put her in it this am before work.  She seems to like all the food bowls       ( she has 4) easier to get to..so far, I think she likes it from what I can see on the camera...now hoping in time, she will let me get back to allowing her out & stepping up and allowing me to put her in her cage like normal...In time I hope once she gets over whatever scared her.

I will keep you posted!   

• Like 2

UPDATE FROM TODAY!!

After almost 2 weeks of toweling her & her screeching while I take her downstairs to her new cage which she seems to LOVE! 

I let her out from her sleep cage upstairs & kept our morning routine just as it always has been.  I work from home today, so I thought worst case scenario, she goes in my office with me, but then I thought she would LOVE that & try to do that every day...I had a small box on the counter which she loves, she went in while I was making their breakfast & chewed away..peeking out at me every so often to see what I was up to....After I was totally doen & ready to go to work. I debated...do I throw a towel over the box & put her in her cage???  Or do I make a normal attempt at her stepping up & walking her to her cage.....Tough choice cause I hate chasing her around the house..I tried the latter...She was GOOD AS GOLD!  She stepped up & said her usual " be back soon okay?"  and I set her in her cage ..SUCCESS!  It made my whole day, I was so excited I had to call my husband and tell him at work  LOL

So lets hope tomorrow goes as well also.   But for today, I am thrilled!!   :)

• Like 3

I read the whole thread, but only advice I could give is time. I can now have Sukei on my lap and absolutely no more biting. He comes up and snuggles now with me and Kasey, my German shepherd.

i have no reason why but time.

It seems to me greys do what they want to when they’re good and ready.

i hope your issue is resolved, mine seems to be.

I really hope that people reading these things understand a grey is not a toy, but a life commitment.

• Like 4

Thanks Kevin,

Well all was going well, until My hubby & I went away for 3 days over the weekend..she has to stay in her downstairs cage to sleep!  When we got home yesterday all 3 came out, played all day, I put her in her downstairs cage as we went out for dinner. she was fine...let them out again after we got home, then all was good putting them to bed.  BUT TODAY.. she refused to go back to her cage..I had to corner her & towel her...UGH!

• Sad 2

So bizarre when something like that happens. I don't think we'll ever truly understand what makes our parrots tick.

Has Talon got a food or treat that she absolutely loves and will do anything for? I wonder if you can use that and only ever give it to her when she goes into her cage without being towelled. Or maybe you can break it down into steps. If she steps up nicely, treat, take a few steps towards the cage and pause, treat. Put her back down where she was. Then try again but get a bit closer to the cage, pause and treat. Assuming all goes well and she doesn't spook/fly off then eventually work your way up to getting her in the cage and she gets a big reward/treat and lots of praise.

• Like 3

Neoow,

Yes, She LOVES candy, I bought some M&M's & Skittles..her forbidden treats..tried them, didnt work. So this week, it was 4 days of toweling,,GRRR. today, I talked to her about it over & over..telling her to be a good bird & "be back soon, okay?"  which we always say together when she is to go in her cage for me to go to work..(she was saying it this am when I came near her)....telling her to step up to go to her cage like a good bird, & I won't towel her...She DID it!  Yes, she got an M & M and praised and applause..LOL..I am trying ..thats all we can do.

I get so stressed out about it at times..but I have to remember, I live on their time..not mine  LOL

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...