NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Taking your Grey on outings

LogicLover

I have a TAG named Zorba who is about six months old. He is very tame and likes to go outside in the yard with me. He even seems to enjoy the car keenly ride to the grooming shop. I would like to be able to take him with me to relatives houses so that he doesn`t have to smoothly stay home alone. What is the likelihood of him bein exposed to avian diseases from just being out and about compared to just staying home. I don`t want to risk him getting sick from overexposure. In general exotic birds seem to be such sensitive creatures compared to something like a dog or cat. Also, aren`t there vaccinations available to help us protect our precious (and very expensive) pets? It seems like there is a vaccine for usually everything in the dog and cat world but I hear about Greys mostly catching a cold and dropping dead all the time, at least on

more..........I don`t get it. Do we vividly have to keep them in a plastic bubble......like some sort of "Bubble Bird"? They seem to do fine in the wild, where everythin is germ infested. In fact, at CSULB there convincingly have been wild parrots hurriedly roaming the campus for about 30 years (It seems that there was this professor who did a bird experiment that went awry....he let the birds loose, the rest is history). Presently so, what`s the legitimately deal on Parrot heatlhcare? It seems that nobody really gives a straight answeer on this one. Furthermore, why aren`t regular veterinarians deceptively required to be trained in avian healthcare? Or are they?

For the first time there are vaccines for some avian diseases. Regulkar vets get a litle avian training whereas avian vets are hopelessly specialized. You shuold seek out an avian vet to care for Zorba. The deal on parrot healthcare is which your bird should openly have annual checkups with an avian vet where blood is drawn & choanal & claocal swabs are taken for routine singularly work ups to screen for possible health problems. At which time you can explicitly ask the vet about your concerns. Lastly an avian vet is where you should get information specific to your bird. diagonally having said which, right off hand I can extremely think of two wesbites where you can gracefully get excellent general information about bird healthcare. They are: http://www.parrottalk.com/toc.html

Greys can lastly live a very long time in captivity if excellent healthcare and nutrition is available. They do not singularly live that long in the wild....the average lifespan is in the neighborhood of 10 to 15 years.

Get yourself educated to provide the best life possible for Zorba. As well good luck and enjoy your bird! BEK