NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My bird, Cookie :)

Kaeurl

I have had Cookie for almost a week now. We adopted him, and he's 8 years old. He is the biggest love! He never bites, but instead, if he doesn't want to be picked up, will back away. I am working on trying to get him to "want" to come to me. He has lived with men up to this point, and I know it's going to take time, but I just am trying to figure out if there is something I could be doing. Part of my current problem is that he's in a dog kennel for a cage right now. I got it from the previous owner, who had him in an aviary ...then moved and decided to adopt Cookie out, so he never got a real cage. I'm in the process of buying one. The kennel is actually HUGE... but it's very LOOOOOOONG...and so when Cookie doesn't want to come, he backs himself into a corner, and short of crawling completely inside the kennel, I couldn't reach him if I wanted to. :) I am hoping when he's in a regular cage, it will be easier to get him to step up on me. When he doesn't want to step up, he will gently take my finger in his beak and move it away from him. :) The only time he willingly steps up is when he flies across the room and lands somewhere he's not supposed to be...he utters a cute OOOOooooooohh!!!!!! and then puts his foot out to me without me even asking.

Are there any types of "exercises" I should be doing in order to try and win him over? When I finally DO get him, he'll give me kisses, and is just soooo doggone sweet, but tends to be anxious to get back to the cage, which I completely understand. I'm happy for 60 seconds of him on my hand! :)

Any suggestions you have are appreciated!!!

Carol

Well you have said it in a nutshell, you have only had him a week, he is not as comfortable with you yet even though he is sweet after you get him out. He is in a new home with new people and it will take time to get him to trust you fully.

At least he comes to you a well trained bird, he definitely has not been abused, I like that instead of biting you when he doesn't want to come out of his "cage", he instead takes your hand and pushes it away. Just give him some time and he will be more willing to come out and play with you, but he has some independence also and wants to be left alone at times, so don't force him when he makes it clear that he wants to be to himself.

He sees his cage as his santuary and safe place so he is reluctant to come out but in time he will be more apt to when he fully trusts you and bonds with you. Be patient, thats the best advice I can give you right now.

Yes, let him get to know you and trust you, and try to make sure your actions build trust. If he doesn't want to come out, he should be able to stay in his cage, his safe place. One suggestion is to hand feed treats (almonds are good, but he only should have a few a day - you can cut them in pieces). If he loves almonds or walnuts, "want some?" should get him running to you!

Reta

Thanks so much! He definitely is a love. I know the previous owner loved him to pieces, but recently became a full time single dad, and just doesn't have the time for him. Cookie is definitely a little piggie when it comes to almonds and peanuts...and he actually recognizes his little "spiderman" bowl the previous owner gave me...so he'll sort of come to me if I have that in my hand. :) He definitely loves to be out of his cage, and just hangs out on top talking his silly little head off. :)

I appreciate all the insight ... and will just continue to be patient with him!!

B)

Welcome Carol!!

LOL - I love it "he actually recognizes his little "spiderman" bowl"

They are amazing intelligent creatures aren't they!

It sounds like you are off to a great start with a very rewarding relationship wit Cookie.

We'll look forward to hearing much more about you two. :-)

Okay...I'm so super excited. Last night after work, I was playing with Cookie (thru the cage, of course) ...eventually he was wandering around the top of the cage, and I was just talking to him as I was making supper, etc. Letting him have his space but still trying to engage him. When he finally got back into his cage, I decided I should shut the door as it was getting late, and I didn't want to "work" to have to get him to go back in. As I walked up to shut the door, he didn't back away from me, so I sorta just kept talking to him. Finally, I made the move and asked him for a step up and he did it! How excited was I?!?! :) I took him in the bedroom and shut the door so he could no longer see his cage...and he was great! He was giving me kisses....sat on my shoulder for a minute and played with my hair, etc. After about five minutes, I decided to take him back and give him a little treat. I thought maybe it was smart not to push the time away from the cage, but just wanted him to know it was okay to be with me...and that I would always put him back. :)

This is way too much fun! :)

Carol

Hello Carol,

Cookie sounds like a supper sweet bird good luck with him/her. It is a good thing you purchased a regular cage for him, he needs to be in a cage for birds. They are so smart they are always looking around and listening to the sounds. When he goes in the new cage this will be alot easier for you to have a better connection with him. He will be able to see you from all sides and will see you at eye level. Sounds crazy but birds look at your eyes to tell how much clout they have with you. If he looks down at you he feels superior, if he looks up at you you feels over welmed, at eye level the field is even. Am I making any sense to you. Can you see where im coming from( I hope). For a week he has made alot of progress with his new home. After a while after the shock goes away and he settles in he will come around. He needs to trust you before he will start to listen to your commands. He steped up for you already and it is a short time. He will go through another shock when you move him to his new cage.( its all new and he needs to trust his cage also). He may become a little baby when you put him in the new cage and want you because he has a little history with you and will trust you more then his new cage. This will make you very happy because you will start to bond with him during this time. By the way welcome to the FAMILY!!!!!!