NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Cosmo

jimmycoop2005

I have had him for a week, he is doing great! My only concern right now is if I am trying to go too fast with him. Some times when I get him out he fusses a little not biting or anything just screeching. I tell him to step up several times and lift my hand he will usually obey and come on out. Though a couple of times he doesn't and I leave him alone for awhile and try again. Eventually he steps up and doesn't grab anything (the side of the cage). The only thing I have ever fussed at him over well I just said NO! and looked at him angrily is when he would start to fly, it seems that is starting to work. I will tell him no and he will lower his wings and just sit on my lap. Does it seem like I am showing him I am boss, and not scaring the crap out him? Pics coming soon, I just got a pedicure perch and want him to check it out, so I am waiting for him to figure out how to get up to it.<br><br>Post edited by: jimmycoop2005, at: 2007/11/25 00:57

I think you are doing good at this time, but yes don't rush anything, a week is not long enough for him to be really comfortable in his new home. You need to build trust with him before you will be able to set the bond with him but you are working on it.

I look forward to seeing more pictures of Cosmo.

That's so cute, he thought Cosmo was his baby...I love daschounds (sp?). At a previous job, the owner of the company had two of them, and she brought them to work every day. They were so fun to have around!

I love the picture of Cosmo with his leg & wing extended, Klaus does that all the time - aren't they graceful?

Jimmy, this may be unnecessary advise, but I'll throw it in anyway. I know you don't want Cosmo to fly because he could hurt himself. But they do need to flap, so make sure you don't tell him "no" every time. If Cosmo is on top of his cage flapping, let him flap. If he's on your lap, he hasn't got much to hold onto to just flap and not fly, so there's where you'd want to discourage it.

I actually play with him like that I get him on my hand, hold him up really high and drop my hand (not really fast) and he will flap then I bring him to my chest and stops (like he landed) he seems to enjoy it. Today he discovered my fingernails and he trys to chew them off or take them off. He bites them hard and pulls I have told him no severel times and give him the evil eye. When he gets to the skin part of my finger he doesn't bite. Just on my nail, I tell him no and sometimes he stops. I'm afraid if I put him up and ignore him he will think one of the following.

A. If I bite his nails he will put me up YAY!! I'll do this all the time.

or

B. My cage is a punishment, I never want to go in there.

I know Judy you said to put him up and ignore him, but isn't it possible right now where he isn't fully bonded to me, he doesn't mind being ignored?

Others may not agree with me on this one, but Dayo loves to pick and chew at my fingernails and does not harm the skin. he knows the difference. So I reward him by letting him continue because he knows the difference. He also knows how hard he is allowed to pick at my nails...not enough to crack, but enough to enjoy it somehow in his own little way :-)

The act of a time-out or the like, should be reserved only for a behaviour you never want to take place again and should only be applied for the most severe behaviour.

Just a no and a movement of your nail away from his beak should be sufficient to change the behaviour. You may need to repeat it several times, but he is smart and will pick it up very quickly.<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2007/11/25 20:53

danmcq wrote:

Others may not agree with me on this one, but Dayo loves to pick and chew at my fingernails and does not harm the skin. he knows the difference. So I reward him by letting him continue because he knows the difference. He also knows how hard he is allowed to pick at my nails...not enough to crack, but enough to enjoy it somehow in his own little way :-)

The act of a time-out or the like, should be reserved only for a behaviour you never want to take place again and should only be applied for the most severe behaviour.

Just a no and a movement of your nail away from his beak should be sufficient to change the behaviour. You may need to repeat it several times, but he is smart and will pick it up very quickly.<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2007/11/25 20:53

Alright, yeah I didn't want to put him back up just for that. I'll keep a bottle cap on hand he can chew that up haha. I have been wiggling my finger and saying no, like you said I think he is starting to pick up on it. Now when he is picking with the nail he doesn't really hurt me at all. If he starts to then I tell him no and wiggle it and move it. He seems to be doing better, thanks for the help.

judygram wrote:

Jimmy, none of them like being ignored and I don't think it matters that you are not bonded yet.

About the nail biting, Josey will sometimes go for my nails, but I distract her without telling her no and she rarely bothers with them now.

I'm just concerned with he may think that, that is a way to escape<br><br>Post edited by: jimmycoop2005, at: 2007/11/25 20:58

Well, you'll have start putting out guidelines and rules concerning your Grey now while the time is easy to accomplish it. If you let him start nibbling on areas of you there's gonna come that time when the biting will be harder and he'll eventually try out other places on you.

Your cuddly grey won't remain cuddly as it gets older. That's the way greys are. It soon will become more independent and will start to be aloof which is a grey's nature and it'll have nothing to do with how it feels about you. Many people get disturbed when that time comes. The grey starts to distance itself from the owner periodically and people blame themselves which is the wrong thing to feel.

Ever hear of the Ornary Ones and the Terrible Twos?

As far as that cage, it also has to do with the above. That cage will soon become it's area to be aloof and independent. He'll start to decorate that cage and make it his own private personal area AND only HIS personal area. That'll take a while but it will definitely happen. They'll be times when he won't even wanna come out the cage. He'll want to stare into space in his own little world.That also is in the grey's nature and that too disturbs people.

Bottom line, curb the biting. Discourage it. It might be fun now until he knows his own capabilities. The biting will become annoying and somewhat painful.<br><br>Post edited by: MrSpock, at: 2007/11/25 21:23

Hi Jimmycoop,

You certainly seem like you are doing well with your first bird. Asking lots of questions and willing to learn/adjust. I have a question for you, is Cosmo pretty stable on his wood perches/swing? I only ask because they look very round and smooth. It is often considered best to provide wood perches with varying thickness and not a smooth surface. This provides better ability for the bird to grasp and introduces variation to the feet while perching which more closely represents tree branches etc that they would have out in the wild. Anyway, just thought I would throw that out there. Looks like a pretty, happy and healthy youngster. B)

He seems to do fine on them, I just now put the pedicure perch in there, he doesn't seem to get on it as much though. I am getting new toys to alternate Wednesday or I should anyway, I hate waiting on orders haha. He usually climbs on top of his cage and slides down to all his perches and he stays on the wood swing one the most. He has fell a few times but he was climbing around the cage and it wasn't due to his wood perches. I will defiantly keep that in mind though thank you for pointing that out. Please if anyone ever sees anything questionable please say something. Like I said I'm new to this and would love to learn as much as I can.

I was eating some banana today and usually he didn't like it but, it decided to try one more time. Since I was beside the cage I grabed a chunk off the bottom of the banana and coated it on my finger and stuck it inside his cage. He tasted it, and went back and ate all of it off my finger. He didn't try to bite me or anything. He did mumble what seemed to be hello though :). I gave him a cut slice of banana and he wouldn't eat it. So apparently I have to smash it up on my finger and let him lick it off. I gave him a few more bites and let him eat some of his pellets, don't want him off his pellet diet :D

Guest briansmum

i dont have anything to add really except that he is a gorgeous little bird and to emphasise the "start as you mean to go on" thing. don't let him do anything now that you won't want him to do when he is older/stronger.

i made that mistake letting brian nibble on my t-shirts when he was a baby, i thought it was a comfort thing, now he can put a hole through the material in a couple of bites and it's proving a hard habit to crack!

by the way, is it just me ot does cosmo looks old for 4 months? particularly the eyes :)