NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

sadbird, sad owner ( kind of long)

Guest Ceres

Tuesdays I work at the local Vet's office. I am usually only there for the difficult surgeries. The vet told me we had an African Grey coming in for a wing trim and nail trim. She told me I would remember them when they arrived. The vet is not board certified avian, but I live in a rural area and the nearest vet who sees lots of birds is 50 miles away. The vet I work for has a Quaker, two cockatiels and some budgies. She likes birds and does go to continuing education on exotic animals when she can. At any rate, when the man came in I remembered him well. He arrived 45 minutes early and since we were in the middle of a surgery we couldn't see him immediately. The man is an elderly single person who is almost a hermit. He HATES to leave home.

He was there for a wing trim because his Grey told him he needed a haircut.

The poor bird was as nervous as the owner about being away from home and was plucked. The vet asked about the wing trim and the man insisted it be short because he couldn't have the bird flying away. The vet told him she would not do a short trim because the bird needed to be able to land safely and comfortably. The discussion went on for a bit and the vet said I will trim the bird like I did the last time. He said fine. The bird was very well behaved and the nail trim and wing trim went very well. I took the bird back and told the man I had a Grey. He asked me if my bird talked and I said yes, all the time. He told me that was bad. I told him I didn't think so as I had regular conversations with her and she usually spoke in context. He told me maybe my bird was smarter than his then. He also told me his bird was his

"right arm" and yet when the vet explained why she would not clip he bird severely, his response was that if the bird jumped off the perch or cage once and hit hard she wouldn't do it again. The vet tried to explain the dangers, but he would not even listen. I felt sorry for the owner and the bird. Sorry this is so long, but the whole thing has been bothering me since

I came home to my wonderful birds.

Doesn't things like that make you want to snag the bird and take it home, sounds like he just isn't able to give it the care it needs. I am lucky because I am always home. My CAG says a lot of words. It is funny because

I rather talk to my birds than some people. I think you get out what you put into these precious animal.

Going on that I have a question for you. This might sound strange, but

I am going to ask. I posted something about this at the cockatiel page, but got more negative feedback than help.

We just took on breeding cockatiels. And they are use to breeding and having the babies on there own. I plan on taking the babies and hand feeding them myself. What I am is wondering is there away to get them calm down a little. If something happens to one of them I want to be able to check them out. You working with a vet maybe you will have some ideals.

When these cockatiels bite they don't want to let go. Reminds me a pitbull (LOL). Any avise or ideals would be greatly appreciated. My friend Edy who has been in the breeding business for 20 years, and hubby already told me that there is a difference between pets and breeders. I think every bird deserves some loving.

Guest rambleonrose

I used to breed cockatiels, I had 10 pair. The adults never did warm up to me, they'd tolerate me cleaning, feeding and watering, but I think they were happier when I wasn't around. Some of them whistled and a few said "hello babies, Pretty bird or Ouch, Knock it off". My biggest problem with them was checking nestboxes for eggs and babies, they really hated that. LOL.

Good luck with it, I hope you have lots of fun with them and the babies.

Thank you Debbie. without all the sarcastic remarks. I guess I will just talk to them and hope they calm down a bit. I know I will enjoy the babies, just hate the fact that these wonderful birds won't accept me as being one of them. I enjoy my greenwing, B/G, CAG, cockatiel, and parakeet so much, and thought with some work I can become one of the cockatiels flock. I know that probably sounds crazy. Plus I have had my parakeet for two years, and about a week ago he said her first mimic sound, and lets me handle her a lot more. Before she use to bite the shit out of us. Just wishful thinking I guess. Thanks again

PS if your still on the board when we have our first babies will let you know how it goes.