NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Water question

Kaeurl

We just picked up our adopted grey about 2 days ago. He's 8..his name is Cookie, and I'm seriously over the moon because he loves us all and lets us all handle him! He's downstairs now just talking up a storm! :)

My question is how do you provide water to your bird? In a bowl? In a bottle?

Cookie's previous owner used a little kiddie bowl, which he gave to me, but if when I put that in his cage, he immediately takes a few sips... then steps in the bowl and bathes himself. I let him play with the water in the sink yesterday just to see if that would help him NOT knock the water bowl over, but it didn't work.

I don't care if he wants to play in it...but eventually I'm going to need to go back to work, and I don't want him to be without water all day.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks so much!

Carol :P

You could try placing a larger Pie pan in the bottom of the cage that would provide him with a better bath spot and then hopefully he will just use the smaller bowl for drinking.

You could also purchase a water bottle with the tube and ball on the end that dispenses water as they beak the ball.

Kali has a Lixit water bottle, and it works very well, no dirty water. In the aviary, there's a large water bowl, and he often hops in that. When I used to have a water bowl (smaller) in his cage, he sometimes tried to hop in it (didn't fit!), and also made soup dropping his food in. So, I like the water bottle for a clean supply, though they need some water fun and bathing also!

Reta

Count your blessings if he willingly gets in the bowl and bathes himself. :) From reading this forum, it seems like a lot of Grey don't like baths or showers. Kibibi uses a bowl attached to the side of her cage for drinking water. It is strategically placed away from the food bowl so she doesn't put food in it and it's strategically placed so no perches are above it so no dropping fall into it. However, it still needs changed frequently due to feathers and dust.

Guest briansmum

i have a "coop cup" which has notches on the side that slip through the holder and then you twist it so they cant get it out.. plus the cage is fitted with a feeding dish safety bar so i'm lucky like that. although his dish does start looking like primordial soup towards the end of the day :lol: :lol: