NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My grey parrot plucked his tail in just one day please suggest me what to do

Anas

Had he ever done this before? Is he bonded to you? Something caused him to pluck out his tail feathers and you will have to figure out why but why not take him in to see your avian vet to rule out anything physical, he could have some inflammation that irritated him as sometimes it indicates an underlying infection.

• Like 1

My CAG plucked all his body feathers once because of smoke in my home.  Fire alarms going off and smoke everywhere with neighbors all standing around.  Luckily I got home soon after and got my parrots and canary out.  No harm except smoke.  I guess that happens if you leave a pan boiling and it runs out of water.  Luckily the fids lived to tell the tale..

Sterling never plucked again and i learned a valuable lesson.

• Like 1

Since this is a first, it is tough to tell what the trigger may have been.  A consult with your vet is the best recourse because they have dealt with it so much.  We have a rehomed parrot.  She came into our home with plucking issues and at the vet's suggestion we had good luck with the Bach Rescue Remedy, two drops in her fresh water daily.  For a long time, any changes in her routine, any new objects in our home, any reminders of her idea of "abandonment", loud noises etc., she would go into a frenzy of feather plucking or barbering.  It could be something as simple as your parrot being startled off his perch, playing rough or something and breaking a tail feather.  Once it started he may not have been able to understand "what hurts" and he may have been trying to relieve his discomfort... which made it worse for him.  So, yes a vet visit is your best bet to be sure there isn't a blood feather or underlying health issue involved. 

• Like 1