NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Head twitching question.

mpr86

Starting about a day after we brought him home, he started to twich his head occasionally.

The head twitching happens mostly after feeding and when someone approaches to pick him up while he's on top of his cage. For example, when I put my finger to his chest and tell him to step up while he's on top of the cage, he will twitch/shake his head as if hes saying no. Another example is: I was sitting on the floor, he was on the floor as well, and he climbed up my pants onto my arm and then stood there and twitched his head until I started to move. He also likes to rub his beak a lot between the bars.

However, whenever he's inside the cage by himself, he never twitches. I sat there and timed him for a full 5 minutes while he was inside the cage and not a single head twitch.

Any thoughts?

My Grey does it too. If the vet doesn't see anything wrong then I wouldn't worry about it. From Birds For Dummies page 123;

"One final species-specific oddity -- head shaking in African Greys: Brian has looked down the ears of lots of African Greys whose owners were certain something was hiding inside, because of all the head-shaking. He hasn't found anything -- yet."<br><br>Post edited by: Kibibi, at: 2007/11/22 21:59

Guest briansmum

yep brian likes to shake his head too, i'd never thought about it but now that it's been mentioned he does do it more out of his cage than in. maybe it relates to being happy and content.. like a dog wagging it's tale.

.. ooor, maybe they're so shocked at some of the silly things we do for them that they have to shake themselves to make sure what theyre seeing is real ;) :lol: